PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
saren (Offline)
Official Member

Default Cheapest Italian prepay/SIM (for numbers starting with 393)? - 03-12-2008, 22:06

Cheapest Italian prepay/SIM (for numbers starting with 393)?

Hi, I need advice on which Italian prepay/SIM card to purchase for a 6 week trip to N. Italy. I'm ONLY concerned with the cost of SMS to other, local Italian mobile numbers. Roaming, international tariffs are not important. Most of the Italian numbers I need to call start with +39 (393) xxx-xxxx. I assume 393 is the prefix of a specific prepay provider, like Italia mobile, or Vodaphone. Which one is it? It would make sense to purchase a SIM with that company, since SMS rates will probably be lower, if not free to 393 numbers.

Thanks

ps

about the codice fiscale, i registered online using the advice on the prepaidGSM national operator page, and now have a code (a combo of letters/initials in my name), but will it hold up at registration, or do I need to do it the long way?

Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 05-12-2008, 09:23

+39.393 numbers are from the operator "3".
I think the offer called "Super7" could be a good solution for you. But remember that 3 works only on 3G/UMTS phones.

The codice fiscale is unique and you need it for many things in Italy. I think that in your case you'll need it just to buy the simcard, but you never know.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#3)
saren (Offline)
Official Member

Default 05-12-2008, 11:57

Yes I agree, but isn't Tre a CDMA network, I don't think I have that. I always use GSM networks, but aside from that I think it's the best as well. Here's the link.
http://www.tre.it/public/Tariffe_ricaricabili.php

Old
  (#4)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 05-12-2008, 15:40

3 is a W-CDMA 2100MHz network, so you need a W-CDMA phone (3G/UMTS) to use their offer. The other 3 operators also run GSM 900/1800 along with W-CDMA 2100.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#5)
saren (Offline)
Official Member

Default 05-12-2008, 16:32

To be honest, I don't know whether I am GSM< or CDMA, I only assume it's GSM because it's more common to have a GSM phone. It's a NOKIA old series I bought in Thailand 3 years ago, and I traveled all over the world with it, as it's Triband.

If it's GSM, what's the 2nd best choice, TIM's MTV mobile to Go? My other post on this forum (Europe section) compares the total SMS costs of each Italian prepay offer, and MTV Mobile to go charges only 0.07/SMS, can anyone beat that?

Tags
3 ita