PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
rfilmore (Offline)

Default need help for first time in Italy - 29-12-2010, 12:54

Hello,
I am very impressed with this forum.
I plan a short visit (10 days) in the ski area around Bolzano (Val di Fassa).
I'm arriving at malpensa airport Milano, rent a car and travel to hotel in the mountains.
I have a very limited time to spend in Milano (1-2 hours), Id appreciate getting tips on setting up the fastest solution available at malpensa area.

I need 2 sim cards for 2 GSM open phones and also a cellular stick for my notebook. (plan to surf 2 hours a day including voip)
1. I prefer a provider with best coverage in mountains
2. I think I need 1-2 Gigas of data for my notebook
3. how do I get the govmnt code needed for registration given the short time I will be in Milano?
4. where is the closest store in the malpensa airport area?
5. Do I have to buy a stick or can rent one?

Thanks

Old
  (#2)
BLC (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 09-01-2011, 23:28

Have you checked to be sure your phones will work. You will need quad band phones if you are coming from the US. Also their may not be 3g in the mountains so internet will be painfully slow. Maybe your hotel has WiFi? Also cell phones have a problem in older buildings in Italy because of the 3 foot thick stone walls so you may have to go outside to get reception.
I'am sure there are cell phone shops in the airport and all they need is to copy your passport and take your money!

Old
  (#3)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 10-01-2011, 08:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfilmore View Post
1. I prefer a provider with best coverage in mountains
2. I think I need 1-2 Gigas of data for my notebook
3. how do I get the govmnt code needed for registration given the short time I will be in Milano?
4. where is the closest store in the malpensa airport area?
5. Do I have to buy a stick or can rent one?
1) You have to check the coverage in the zone you are going to. Of course don't expect perfet coverage on the mountains, but on the town you will stay it should be ok (it's a very touristic zone). Probably TIM has the best coverage, Wind should be fine too.

2) There's plenty of offers, all reported many times on this website, check the one which fits you best

3) Codice Fiscale .com - Calcolo del codice fiscale on line!

4) There are no phone shops at Malpensa airport, as far as I know. You can easily buy your cards in Bolzano/Bozen or when you get to the Val di Fassa (you'll surely pass through some bigger town such as Moena, Vigo, Canazei or Pozza, you will find shops there.)

5) You can also use your phone (better if it has 3G-HSPA) for tethering to your PC. Otherwise you have to buy an usb-stick. No rental services as far as I know.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim