PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
drama queen (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 20-07-2011, 07:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
I'm not sure I understand this. The rate used to be 99 cents a day, but increased last winter to €2.99 a day, and that's what the website appears to say at the moment. Is there a reduction again, somewhere I can't find?

The 99c rateis for a voice/ SIM that allows up to 50MBdata per day.The 2.99 rate is for a data only SIM intended for dongles.

ttp://www.vodafone.ie/offers/free-data-roaming/

I am using the 99c rate travelling in Europe at the moment-it works fine. You can also get a €20 for 30 days rate - advantage plus.

Old
  (#2)
davidtheprof (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 22-07-2011, 18:19

was just traveling in the UK, Sweden, Norway, and Italy,

for the UK, I like to use an Orange sim card, go for the Camel plan for cheap calls back to the US (or wherever), and you can buy 'extras' for GBP 5 that last a month, eg, 100 mins in the UK, 250 MB in the UK, 30 mins in Western Europe, 4 MB roaming in Europe.

not the cheapest outside the UK, but a one-sim card solution.

I also use an Abroadband data only sim in a We3G mifi wifi gadget, 59 Euro cent a MB, works almost anywhere there is 3G.

happy travels!

Old
  (#3)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 23-07-2011, 23:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by drama queen View Post
The 99c rateis for a voice/ SIM that allows up to 50MBdata per day.The 2.99 rate is for a data only SIM intended for dongles.

ttp://www.vodafone.ie/offers/free-data-roaming/

I am using the 99c rate travelling in Europe at the moment-it works fine. You can also get a €20 for 30 days rate - advantage plus.
Thanks, I hadn't seen that, but no wonder I was confused -

How much does Mobile Internet while abroad cost?

I think I let a SIM lapse - maybe I'll see if they can reactivate

Old
  (#4)
drama queen (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 24-07-2011, 00:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Thanks, I hadn't seen that, but no wonder I was confused -

How much does Mobile Internet while abroad cost?

I think I let a SIM lapse - maybe I'll see if they can reactivate
I agree - the Vodafone site is very confusing, and you can be excused for missing the free European data roaming offer.

The free European data roaming appears to have been a spur-of-the-moment response by Vodafone Ireland to Meteor's free voice roaming. There is a price war going on in Ireland at the moment. The Meteor offer came just before the Summer holiday season, and huge numbers of customers have been defecting from market leader Vodafone to challenger Meteor in order to get the free voice roaming. Vodafone reacted quickly but appear not to have fully updated all sections of their website. The economics of the offer seem dubious as someone using the full 50MB per day could cost Vodafone Ireland €750 in regulated European rates while they would only receive €20 revenue. I dont see how they can keep this ip, but the offer is terrific while it lasts.