PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Default 26-01-2009, 16:06

Well, write here what the SIM is displaying and we translate it for you

wco81, did you register the sim on the Poste Web Portal?

PosteMobile , attention that's in italian.

Anyway you can try to write an email to info@postemobile.it , if you bought the simcard last May you can use it until Aprile (they have a validity = 11 months + 1).

PS: I had "simcard rejected" on locked phones too.

ANTPEAΣ AΠO THN ΦΛΩPENTIA
My Phones:
iPhone 2G, E65, N70, P910 DVB-H, A835, 6630, 7600, 6210, S55, T39
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#12)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 26-01-2009, 16:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
I didn't deactivate the PIN request. Unless there's a way to do it through the phone, rather than through whatever the SIM displays and I can't read Italian.
The PIN request is set via the phone menu, but the decision seems to be then stored on the SIM.

The language of the phone menu can be set to a manual choice or default to that of the SIM's country, if that is installed in the phone. So if you don't understand the phone menu in Italian, put a home SIM in and then select English rather than default

Old
  (#13)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 26-01-2009, 19:27

I suspect wco81 is mixing up phone security code with the SIM-specific PUK.

Like most phones Nokias have an option to lock the phone for alien SIM cards. If this option is enabled and you swap SIM cards, the phone will always ask for a security code, which is 12345 for Nokias by default.
Some phones remember those SIM cards, for which the phone was unlocked by entering the security code. Others will always ask for the security code, except for the case the original SIM card is used, which was inside the phone, when the lock-option for alien SIMs was enabled.
If you enter that security code incorrectly a couple of times, the phone will reject that certain SIM card forever unless you disable the lock-option.

Anyway, I haven't seen any SIM card that required entering the PUK before the PIN, unless you've incorrectly entered the PIN for three times.

Since wco81 still doesn't disclose, how his phone reacts (especially if the menu is displayed and accessible) after switching it on with the Poste SIM inside, we won't find out, if the SIM or the phone is locked or if the SIM is just refused by some Californian network, to which it is not admitted to for roaming.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#14)
wco81 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 26-01-2009, 22:04

I did not register. Didn't realize if that was required.

Old
  (#15)
wco81 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 26-01-2009, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
I suspect wco81 is mixing up phone security code with the SIM-specific PUK.

Like most phones Nokias have an option to lock the phone for alien SIM cards. If this option is enabled and you swap SIM cards, the phone will always ask for a security code, which is 12345 for Nokias by default.
Some phones remember those SIM cards, for which the phone was unlocked by entering the security code. Others will always ask for the security code, except for the case the original SIM card is used, which was inside the phone, when the lock-option for alien SIMs was enabled.
If you enter that security code incorrectly a couple of times, the phone will reject that certain SIM card forever unless you disable the lock-option.

Anyway, I haven't seen any SIM card that required entering the PUK before the PIN, unless you've incorrectly entered the PIN for three times.

Since wco81 still doesn't disclose, how his phone reacts (especially if the menu is displayed and accessible) after switching it on with the Poste SIM inside, we won't find out, if the SIM or the phone is locked or if the SIM is just refused by some Californian network, to which it is not admitted to for roaming.
It definitely said PUK, and then it prompted for PIN. I guess I will take photos since you think I'm illiterate or something.

But now, it only says SIM Card rejected, even if I remove the battery and SIM and reinsert.

I'm currently in Salzburg, Austria. I would think that SIM has roaming agreements with carriers here. But it is still SIM Card rejected.

I did email Poste Mobile. No response.

I am due to go to Rome in early April, so I guess I could try to get help then but it's postal employees so probably not going to happen. Bought a 10 Euro top-up card which I haven't used yet either.

Oh well.

Honestly, I think a lot of people just roam internationally and keep local calls to a minimum. It's expensive but burning this SIM is probably going to end up more costly.

Old
  (#16)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Default 27-01-2009, 09:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
I am due to go to Rome in early April, so I guess I could try to get help then but it's postal employees so probably not going to happen
You can change the simcard in Rome, same number and same balance.

ANTPEAΣ AΠO THN ΦΛΩPENTIA
My Phones:
iPhone 2G, E65, N70, P910 DVB-H, A835, 6630, 7600, 6210, S55, T39
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#17)
gmmour (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 27-01-2009, 10:37

PIN request an be deactivated through the phone menu.
As we all are trying to explain to you, somone sometime between June and now has powered up the phone and entered a false PIN three times, that's why it asks you for the PUK!

When a phone asks for the PUK then it asks for a new PIN twice. After you enter the PUK code and then the new PIN twice, provided that the PUK code you entered is correct, the phone will connect to the network and the new PIN will be registered with the SIM. If you entered a false PUK number, the phone will still ask for a new PIN twice, and then it will inform you that the PUK you entered is invalid, and it will remain locked, until you find the correct PUK! If you repeat this procedure 10 times with a false PUK, the SIM card will be destroyed and rendered unusable for ever!

That's it! There is no mysterious reason why it asks you for a PUK and twice for a new PIN, it's because you or somebody else entered a false PIN three times! After the PIN is locked (entered wrong three times) then you can only unlock the phone using the correct PUK!!!
If you don't find the correct PUK of the card stop entering false PUK codes because after ten tries it will eventually render the SIM card useless!!!

The PIN you enter twice after the PUK code, can be any number with 4 to 8 digits of your choice and will be the new PIN if and when you enter the correct PUK!
Even if you think you enter the correct PUK, if you get an error message, this means IT IS NOT the correct PUK so stop entering it and try to find the correct one!

Don't mess up PIN and PUK with PIN2 and PUK2 (these are different codes which you'll never need normally)!

Finally, make sure that after entering the PUK you enter the SAME new PIN code in both prompts, if the two PIN codes entered don't match the phone won't even check if the PUK code is correct, such tries do not count towards the 10 tries limit!

I hope I made it clear for you! After reading this above information carefully, feel free to ask anything you want!

Old
  (#18)
gmmour (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 27-01-2009, 10:41

I do suspect though that you already entered a false PUK ten times so that's why it says SIM rejected every time you power up (although beforehand it asked for a PUK)! It means the SIM card is useless, so go to a dealer of your mobile phone company and just ask for a new SIM card with the same number and the same balance (although you might have to prove you're the owner of the number and also pay a fee for the new SIM card).

Old
  (#19)
wco81 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 27-01-2009, 13:33

No.

After my experience with the Aldi SIM where I didn't note the PUK, I was CERTAIN that the first thing I saved was the PUK and the PIN.

In fact, I believe I still have the printout of the numbers that the Poste clerk gave me when she registered my SIM purchase. I saved that number in my laptop as well as the phone number (which isn't always apparent in the various menus).

Now, thinking about it, the one possibility is that my Nokia, which has a QWERTY keypad, uses a modifier key to change some of the letter keys to numbers.

Maybe I didn't consistently hold down that modifier key (and it doesn't display in the PUK or PIN prompt fields which characters you're entering).

But the other thing is, usually the phone will know when the input is numeric, you don't need to hold the modifier key down. Like when you're dialing a phone number.

Old
  (#20)
wco81 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 27-01-2009, 13:33

And no, I only got a PUK, no PUK2.

Tags
postemobile