PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
thejinx0r (Offline)

Default Prepaid Sims - 29-03-2008, 20:58

So, I'm going on tour for a couple of weeks in Europe in May.
I'm going on this tour:
http://www.trafalgar.com/CAN/Displa...peID=-1&_page=1
http://www.trafalgar.com/CAN/Displa...eID=-1&Detail=2
+ staying an extra week in london.

So far, what I have in mind is get a T-Mobile prepaid and use YCW while in London.

My question is, would I be charged roaming + YCW if I used my london T-Mo sim in Italy/France? And what if I bought a prepaid sim card from Italy/France that had a local number, would I be charged long distance for using YCW?

So, if I have additional charges for both of the previous two questions, then I need a backup plan.
So, what other options do I have?
I'm not going to be spending more than a day at each place, so...

I've thought about United-mobile, and the like, but so far I've found them to be pretty expensive.

Old
  (#2)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 01-04-2008, 12:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejinx0r View Post
So far, what I have in mind is get a T-Mobile prepaid and use YCW while in London.

My question is, would I be charged roaming + YCW if I used my london T-Mo sim in Italy/France? And what if I bought a prepaid sim card from Italy/France that had a local number, would I be charged long distance for using YCW?

So, if I have additional charges for both of the previous two questions, then I need a backup plan.
So, what other options do I have?
I'm not going to be spending more than a day at each place, so...

I've thought about United-mobile, and the like, but so far I've found them to be pretty expensive.
T-mobile would charge roaming costs for a call to the UK. Calling those UK access numbers from a different SIM in its own country would be an international call.

If you're only a day or two each in some countries, then maybe the effort of getting a different SIM in each place would not be worthwhile compared to accepting some roaming cost, but I suppose it depends on how much use you expect.

Most roaming in Europe is now at a standard tariff set by regulators, but there are cheaper options. If you're in the UK first, then I'd suggest looking at Vodafone Passport, O2 My Europe Extra, and 3.

O2 might be an interesting compromise, using an option called Your Country for international calls. Adding £15 gives 100 free minutes of int'l calls, or £30 200 minutes, then the credit to spend as well.

http://www.o2.co.uk/mobilestariffs/t...go/yourcountry

Then you could use £10 of that to subscribe to My Europe Extra, with free incoming calls, 25p/min outgoing to Europe.

Vodafone's Passport scheme has a connect fee while roaming, 75p for the UK version, mostly €1 for the rest, then calls to the local or roamed country are at the same tariff as at home

3 UK has 25p outgoing, 10p incoming while roaming in Europe, cheaper than most others. Also, if you will make a lot of calls from the UK it has a £15 bundle with up to 3000 minutes of int'l calls.

To use in conjunction with these, you'd also want some kind of calling card method, as Canada- and US-bound calls while roaming will be more expensive than to Europe. I'd suggest maybe DialNow, with access in plenty of countries, and rates from 0.5 eurocents a minute.

You might also use a callback service to gain an advantage from the cheaper or free incoming roaming calls ...

Old
  (#3)
lucho (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 01-04-2008, 22:24

This information is awsome!!!!

Old
  (#4)
lucho (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 01-04-2008, 23:38

I will travel to france in the next monthes and after that I will travel around all europe. I would like to know if I use sfr, bouygues or aothers, with a prepaid sim, when I will be out of France (Italy or German for example) how can i do in order to get the free incoming calls. What plan may I buy? Because I thought that when my family call me, I will lose a lot of credit with these incoming calls.

Besides I would like to know about the internet service, because when I will be in France I will conect my notebook with the cell (GPRS motorolla V360), but when I will be out of france, this conection will cost me a lot because of the roaming I guess.

Thank you very much!!!! The forum is excellent

Old
  (#5)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 02-04-2008, 07:57

You cannot have free incoming calls with SFR or Bouygues outside of France. I suggest you to get a Travelsim or United Mobile international simcard...

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#6)
FBlack_111 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 02-04-2008, 18:12

I have a world Passport SIM from Telestial. EKIT has them too. It costs about 50 cents to call back to the US and free incoming to many European counties. It may not be the cheapest, but those free incoming calls are great. I just give my son a discounted international phone card and he calls me in Europe for about 4 cents a minute. They also have a free 800 number in the US so friends can call you for free and you pay an extra 39 cents.

Old
  (#7)
lucho (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 03-04-2008, 05:10

Thank you both for the reply. About travelsim or united mobile where could I buy it? and how much? About pasport sim for telestial I have the same doubts: ¿where and How much? Because I will be in Paris and I don´t have idea. Thanks again

Old
  (#8)
fedeprovenza (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 04-04-2008, 13:58

You can buy these cards on www.united-mobile.com or www.travelsimshop.com
Activatin fee: um+ 29,90 euro (credit 10 euro)
travelsim 29,90 euro (credit 10 euro)

[COLOR="Magenta"]"Working" PrePaids: Wind, Vodafone, CoopVoce, , Travelsim (2), 02 Irish (2)
My best sim?--> Wind +39-328
My phones: Samsung Galaxy Next S5570

Old
  (#9)
thejinx0r (Offline)

Default 06-04-2008, 03:28

I somehow managed to lose track of this topic...

Anyways,
I think I'm gonna do a combo of Yackie Mobile for when I'm moving around and then t-mobile + YCW when I'm in London.

I've just got to read through "http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/yackie-mobile-review-t2832.html" just too see if yackie mobile is a good company.

It comes with 49$ of credit for 49$ including the sim card. That's like a hundred minutes

And I just want to make absolutely sure:
Quote:
YourCallWorld
Call Canada Landlines 24/7
for 3p/min on 07755 22 22 22.
So, if I get a london t-mobile sim card, would that number be long-distance? (I don't quite understand how the numbering system works in Europe)
What about DialNow? "01617002929"

Because, if it's going to be long-distance, than it might just be easier to just keep on using Yackie-Mobile / United Mobile sim the whole time.

Old
  (#10)
thejinx0r (Offline)

Default 06-04-2008, 05:23

Hey Guys,

I somehow managed to lose track of this thread...

Anyways, I think I'm going to go with Yackie Mobile while touring with T-Mobile + YCW or DialNow while in London.

Anyhow, if I get a T-mobile London #, would using YCW be long distance though if the dial # 07755 22 22 22"? What about for DialNow? "01617002929" If they are long distance, I might get the orange call-abroad prepaid sim card.

Last edited by thejinx0r; 06-04-2008 at 05:31..