PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
bbob (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default Global Sim Card Fraudulent Email - 20-01-2011, 10:35

Seems like many peopel have been receiving a mail from global sim card to update their records because of technical problems. These mails were not sent by global sim card but just to get your userdetails and password.

Today I received an email from globalsimcard that these mails were not sent to them but they are a scam.

This does raise one very important question. How did these scammers get hold of email addresses from globalsimcard users.

I have seen bank scam emails and they are sent random to many people. There are although not many people that use a globalsimcard. I have been using them in the past (not anymore) so where did they get my email from.

Have users here received the same email and have these users also bought a globalsimcard in the past. If not they might have gotten their emails from here if that is possible.
If although users who did buy a card in the past received the same mail is there a leak in the global sim card system.

If does seem very strange that a not very common used card / brand is being used for this type of scam, so where did they get my and other email details.

Old
  (#2)
Dubrock (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 20-01-2011, 12:16

I had an email from them yesterday, verified if it was comming from them, and wasn't. Today another one after which I replied, it would be a good idea to inform customers. It seems they did.

I think we received an email one day from global sim which didn't hide the emailadresses. I think thats how they know the adresses.

Active sims NL Telfort, KPN, Vodafone, TrendCall, T-Mobile DE Simyo CH M-Budget PE Claro INT Air Baltic Card, GeoSim

Non-active sims NL Qick, Easymobile, Tele2, Simyo, Rabomobiel, Vectone, UPC, GT Mobile, Orange, Hema, Lycamobile, Carey TZ Celtel Malawi Celtel Zambia Celtel SA MTN, Vodacom INT UM, UM+, Go Global Sim, Max Roam, 09 Sim

Old
  (#3)
MobileMan (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 20-01-2011, 18:38

I also received one of these emails, I was a globalsimcard customer a couple of years ago but not anymore. The email requests that you update your personal and financial details. I thought it looked suspicious due to the high number of spelling mistakes. I have not clicked on any of the links. Would be interested to hear from globalsimcard if their security has been breached and what other personal data has possibly been accessed by the spammers.

Old
  (#4)
bbob (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 24-01-2011, 11:07

@MobileMan, you are right I would also like to know how did they get my email address. This did not seem like a random mail but really targeted to globalsim customers. So somehow they must have been able to extract email addresses from globalsimcard customers.

Would indeed be nice to get a responce how they got my details. Did they also get my address details and maybe credit card details ?

So far global simcard have not responded here to there question. They are reading the forum here so time for some answers.

Old
  (#5)
bbob (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 03-02-2011, 09:03

Hello Globalsimcard.co.uk we know you read this forum and I am still asking myself how did my email address fall in the hands of some scammers.

Was your database hacked or have you looked into the problem and found the leak.

Whithout answering a question like this should we just assume that you have been hacked ?

You privancy policy read this:

We will never sell, trade or rent your personal information to another party.

So have you sold my and the email addresses ?

Without a proper answer one can only assume that globalsimcard.co.uk is a place you have to stay away from as they seem to sell your details or at least don't give any information why email addresses have been used by scammers.

Old
  (#6)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 04-02-2011, 08:38

I don't want to sound blase about this, but unfortunately it seems that email addresses occasionally get hacked out of all kinds of company and other databases.

Old
  (#7)
bbob (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 04-02-2011, 09:31

Andy I agree, but if that does happen the company from who they have been hacked should report this to their customers. also they should tell their customers what they are doing to prevent this in future.

The only responce now was that they were not responsible for those mail. None of the customer did however get any email from globalsimcard.co.uk saying this happened, no excuse no nothing. If the databse was hacked they might have also goten the accesscodes to the backend for each user. No one does now this.

For me what counts is that globalsimcard fails to imform their customers. This is not only sad it shows to me that they don't care about their customers or privacy.

And yes it does happen but no informing customers is not good.