PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#71)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 15-04-2012, 20:34

I'm not aware of any new law. The obligation to register customers' identity has been in force for years. Either the regulatory authority has ordered Fonic to somehow verify the correctness of registration details by sending out this letter since the former registration process has been found being insufficient or Fonic indeed try to ban shorttime visitors (who usually lack a proper address in Germany) from becoming customers. Operators usually pay license fees for their billing and CRM systems based on the number of customers, so a visitor using his SIM only once for a week or two may become unprofitable if they need to pay license fees for months or years.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#72)
kuba.g (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 15-04-2012, 23:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
Either the regulatory authority has ordered Fonic to somehow verify the correctness of registration details by sending out this letter since the former registration process has been found being insufficient
But this would hold for pretty much all operators in Germany, don't you think?

Quote:
Operators usually pay license fees for their billing and CRM systems based on the number of customers, so a visitor using his SIM only once for a week or two may become unprofitable if they need to pay license fees for months or years.
That's also quite interesting, as Germany is the only country I know of in Europe, where operators give you unlimited account validity! (Suggesting that they don't mind inactive customers). It all seems rather contradicting...

Mobile internet sim cards:
INT: abroadband, NL: Simyo, *bliep, BE: Colruyt Mobile, MEDIONmobile, LUX: Orange, PL: mBank Mobile,
DE: Congstar, MEDIONmobile, IE: Vodafone, CH: OK Mobil, SwissCom, SE: Telia, ES: MásMovil,
GR: Cosmote, IT: TIM, RO: Vodafone, RS: mt:s, BY: Privet, UA: Kievstar, MD: Moldcell

Feel free to consult me about sim cards in the Benelux and Poland.

Old
  (#73)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 16-04-2012, 01:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuba.g View Post
But this would hold for pretty much all operators in Germany, don't you think?
Indeed. However few have such lax registration procedures like Fonic. Some operators require an ID upon purchase (e.g. T-Mobile, Vodafone) while others perform some form of verification by selling their SIM cards only online and so customers are forced to provide credit card or bank account information besides a valid address in order to get their SIM cards.

Quote:
That's also quite interesting, as Germany is the only country I know of in Europe, where operators give you unlimited account validity! (Suggesting that they don't mind inactive customers). It all seems rather contradicting...
Yes, but they all reserve the right to cancel the underlying contract at some point and e.g. T-Mobile and Vodafone have been doing so. One of my Vodafone Callya SIMs was recently disabled after three months of inactivity. However they immediately reactivated it upon my request.
I guess it's a question of operators' license agreements/costs and of the ratio of unused SIM cards. At some point they will all start acting if necessary. In any case I'm a bit surprised by Fonic taking such measures since their tariffs are pretty good so I expect them to have a rather high ARPU for a prepaid provider.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#74)
veeRob (Offline)

Default 17-04-2012, 19:39

Just got to Hungary last night. Tried to SMS, same problem. "Check operator services." Tried multiple providers, still same error. Any other ideas?

Old
  (#75)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 17-04-2012, 22:38

As you're apparently using a Nokia phone (at least the Google results for "Service com. editor" suggest this) please go to Message | Options | Message Settings | Sending Profiles - select the first item among the Sending Profiles and edit the Message centre number to match the following: +491760000443
For "Messages sent as" choose "Text" and save this.

Now retry sending a message and also try sending a text to you own Lidl number to rule out an inter-network problem. If it still fails you should perhaps try sending a text from another phone to rule out that there's a problem with your phone.

Also it would be good to know if you can receive SMS from other people.

Old
  (#76)
veeRob (Offline)

Default 18-04-2012, 03:42

Quote:
As you're apparently using a Nokia phone (at least the Google results for "Service com. editor" suggest this) please go to Message | Options | Message Settings | Sending Profiles - select the first item among the Sending Profiles and edit the Message centre number to match the following: +491760000443
For "Messages sent as" choose "Text" and save this.

Now retry sending a message and also try sending a text to you own Lidl number to rule out an inter-network problem. If it still fails you should perhaps try sending a text from another phone to rule out that there's a problem with your phone.

Also it would be good to know if you can receive SMS from other people.
Yes, it is a Nokia phone.

I found a similar menu option, that the number you provided was already entered correctly.

As I said, I receive all SMS messages sent to me, even when I have been outside of Germany. It is only sending SMS messages that is the problem.

I attempted to send an SMS to my own Lidl number and got the same "Check operator services" error.

Old
  (#77)
veeRob (Offline)

Default 18-04-2012, 03:55

I also tried removing my SIM card and powering off the phone. Doesn't help.

I deleted all the messages in my sent folder. Doesn't help.

The phone is model # 1661-2.

Also, just to clarify, the phone worked fine in Germany. I sent SMS no problem. The problem only came when I left the country, and I have lots of credit.

Old
  (#78)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 18-04-2012, 10:10

I fear there is an issue on the network, namely in Fonic's HLR or so. I've just sent you a private message containing a message in German to be forwarded to Fonic's customer care. I hope they'll be able to solve the issue.

Old
  (#79)
thermos (Offline)

Default 11-05-2012, 02:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Dear inquisitor,

Thanks for your advice. I will ask my friend to ship the sim card to me and I will follow your mentioned steps to activate it online 4 to 5 weeks before my trip with your number in friend referral to make both of us can have 5 euro bonus. Once I have activated the sim card successfully, I will let you know then.

Cheers
Have a nice weekend
Dear Inquisitor,
Just want to let you know I've activated the sim card here in Hong Kong via the service portal and add your mobile number in the friend referral section. Thanks for your very detailed steps for activation process.

Now I have 10 Euro in my account (I've checked in the portal) and I will wait for early June to subscribe the unlimted monthly data plan for Euro 15 as I expect I can get the 5 Euro bonous then. After my arrival in Frankfurt, I can use the data immediately.

I've also got the topup voucher (I will use it for voice calls) with the cashcode in 15 euro, can I also top up my account in the portal by using this cashcode? Or I have to use the mobile phone to top up when I am in Germany by using the access code *103*(cashcode)# ?

Cheers

Old
  (#80)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 11-05-2012, 09:22

Thank you for refering to my number during activation!

Those € 5 should have been accredited before June so you'll end up with a total balance of € 15 which would allow you to activate the 5GB monthly flatrate before arrival.

Top up codes can be redeemed only through your mobile by USSD (*103*cashcode#). But since your Lidl SIM should roam on Hong Kong networks you could actually enter the code already now. Submitting USSD commands does not involve any costs, even from abroad. Btw you can also check your current balance by submitting *101#.