PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
mmastera (Offline)

Default Help with trip to Mexico (Cancun) - 05-06-2007, 17:00

Great forum, I've been learning alot...I've got a couple of questions about Mexico (Cancun) that' I'm sure you all can help me with...

I have T-Mobile in the US with an unlocked Blackjack. I'll be in Cancun for a week and need to be reachable while I'm there. I'd like to get a prepaid SIM when I arrive in Cancun but I'm not sure which company would be best for me. I have cheap calling (.06 - 0.10/min) from the US to Mexico and I plan to forward my US cell number to my office where I will route calls to my Mexican prepaid number to take advantage of these rates...so free incoming calls on the prepaid would be great. For calls to the US, I have callback capability so I can take advantage of these rates for "outgoing" calls to the US, but I'll still have to make the initial call to the US...Which company/plan will give me the best value for calling to the US?

Another side of this is that the hotel is supposed to have free wifi, but as a backup I'd like to be able to tether my laptop at EDGE speeds like I do here in the US.

I almost forgot coverage. We may move around a bit in Cancun but for the most part I'll need coverage while at the resort. I've checked the coverage maps for the carriers but I can't make sense of it since I don't know where anything is...maybe one of you do? I'll be at the Sun Palace, Blvd. Kukulcan KM. 20 Zona Hotelera, Cancún, Q.Roo 77500

Thanks for your help, I look forward to your suggestions.

Old
  (#2)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 05-06-2007, 17:46

That's quite a lot to take in at once. My last trip to Mexico I took an Icelandic "09" prepaid which provided "free incoming" calls as long as someone paid for the call to Iceland. I think you have things pretty well in hand. Not sure you'll get the EDGE speeds or will want to pay for it. I will just say that the coverage for all the GSM carriers is better than what is shown on either their maps or the GSMWorld maps.

Old
  (#3)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 05-06-2007, 20:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmastera View Post
Great forum, I've been learning alot...I've got a couple of questions about Mexico (Cancun) that' I'm sure you all can help me with...

I have T-Mobile in the US with an unlocked Blackjack. I'll be in Cancun for a week and need to be reachable while I'm there. I'd like to get a prepaid SIM when I arrive in Cancun but I'm not sure which company would be best for me. I have cheap calling (.06 - 0.10/min) from the US to Mexico and I plan to forward my US cell number to my office where I will route calls to my Mexican prepaid number to take advantage of these rates...so free incoming calls on the prepaid would be great. For calls to the US, I have callback capability so I can take advantage of these rates for "outgoing" calls to the US, but I'll still have to make the initial call to the US...Which company/plan will give me the best value for calling to the US?

Another side of this is that the hotel is supposed to have free wifi, but as a backup I'd like to be able to tether my laptop at EDGE speeds like I do here in the US.

I almost forgot coverage. We may move around a bit in Cancun but for the most part I'll need coverage while at the resort. I've checked the coverage maps for the carriers but I can't make sense of it since I don't know where anything is...maybe one of you do? I'll be at the Sun Palace, Blvd. Kukulcan KM. 20 Zona Hotelera, Cancún, Q.Roo 77500

Thanks for your help, I look forward to your suggestions.
Hello,
for voice i used 09-SIM as well. It works 100% well and was very cheap in combination with a callback service (CallBackWorld).

For data i used our german o2-SIM card. I can confirm that EDGE is available nearly everywhere in the country and the speed is around 200kbps which is very good. Be aware that data is extremely expensive in Mexico, also for domestic cards. Use the Wifi whenever you can - there are tons of hotspots all over the country. my laptop always picked up 3-5 wherever i scanned.

Chris

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#4)
money69 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 06-06-2007, 16:31

No offense to anyone else that posted but forget the other suggestions. The best bet in Mexico is to get a Movistar prepaid sim, I have one I use all the time there. Once you get the sim dial *TARIFA from the phone and change your plan to the plan titled "por llamada". This will allow you to dial direct from Mexico to the US, CANADA, PR for only roughly $1 for 30mins worth of talking, by far better than any world sim. Local calls are only 60c for 30mins worth of talk time also. As far as incoming calls, since Mexico is now Calling Party Pays (CPP) then the incoming calls will be free on the sim side but you'll pay whatever the rate is to call Mexican cell phones on your office side. Good luck and have fun. BTW, Last time i bought a movistar sim I paid $15 for it with $5 of credit on it.

Old
  (#5)
mmastera (Offline)

Default 07-06-2007, 17:21

Thanks for all of the replies, including the 09 suggestions...

Thanks for the suggestion money69...I know enough Spanish to get into trouble so I just translated Movistar's website last night to understand it better. I agree that the tariff you mention looks like a good deal. At approx $1 for 30 mins it may not make sense to use my callback and instead just dial direct...

And I see that the data rates aren't pleasant at all...I will stick to wifi as much as possible and just use data for push email to my phone if at all...

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions

Old
  (#6)
money69 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 08-06-2007, 01:38

Let me make more suggestion, if you use the por llamada option for calls back to the US at $1 a piece, its 30min or any fraction of that for $1. So, what I do is use this is conjunction with a calling card. This allows me to essentially make multiple calls with my calling card so I dont pay $1 for a voicemail pickup or a very short conversation. Very well worth it. Take a look at www.uniontelecard.com for cards, I use them all the time and they have excellent prices including clean cards and you can just hit "###" on the phone to end the current call and get a prompt to enter the next number you want to dial. If you have any more questions I would be happy to help.

Old
  (#7)
mmastera (Offline)

Default 10-06-2007, 06:32

Thanks again money...

I can see how that would be helpful to maximize the 30 mins you get for your initial $1.15 or whatever the actual rate is...

Thanks again money...

I can see how that would be helpful to maximize the 30 mins you get for your initial $1.15 or whatever the actual rate is...

Regarding data, based on the data rates I don't want to be tethering my laptop unless I absolutely have to (I'll stick with the hotel wifi) but my Blackjack gets direct push email from my exchange server and I'd like to keep that working...I have changed my Activesync to download headers only to save on data transfer. I figure I can try to decipher the importance of incoming emails based on the subject and only download the full message for the ones that I think need my attention right away...anyway are you aware of any settings necessary on the phone to utilize GPRS or EDGE with a Movistar prepaid? For example here in the US with T-Mobile I have to create a GPRS connection profile with a APN name, etc..

Have any advice on where to get a Movistar card? It would be convenient if I could pick one up right at the Cancun airport...otherwise I'll have to figure it our once I reach the hotel and see what my transportation options are to get somewhere that sells them.

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by mmastera; 10-06-2007 at 07:37.. Reason: forgot to ask a question

Old
  (#8)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 10-06-2007, 12:30

Yep! Tethering on a prepaid can add up quickly. You will surely need Movistar's settings to use their data. I would google for the settings or just ask the Movistar folks for it.

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Last edited by Bossman; 10-06-2007 at 12:38..

Old
  (#9)
naoautorizada (Offline)

Default 07-07-2007, 01:23

If you're not going to tether, then for Cancun it's Mexitel, hands down.
Phone + SIM at Telcel local rates, international is VOIP (2 cents, charged by the first minute and then by 6 seconds).

I have a questions elsewhere on tethering - dont' know if you can do it with Telcel pre-paid (which is what Mexitel is), but would like to hear from someone on that if there's some experience out there.

Old
  (#10)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 07-07-2007, 06:04

My additional 2 cents:
1. Cingular (ATT) charges half of T-M for voice in Mexico.
2. T-M just came out with UMA (wi-fi) ability w. a couple of GSM/wi-fi phones. It has not been verified, but supposedly you can use the phone over wi-fi anywhere in the world and be billed as though you are in the U.S
I have used it quite a bit here in the U.S., even before it was officially released. Works like a charm.
I have NOT verified, tho, that billing overseas works as stated. I'll try it in Costa Rica in a couple weeks.

...mike

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.