PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
elistoughton (Offline)
Official Member

Default Opinions on Best SIM card - 17-05-2007, 19:12

I just wanted to get people's opinions on the best international SIM card. I'd mostly use it in Europe, but also in Costa Rica. I'll probably patch calls through VoipBusterPro (unless there is a better callback service). Is getting a local SIM in one Euro country another viable options, or are the roaming rates bad in other countries. I'm just thinking of the high costs to call +423 or +372. Are those regular calls for most phones in Europe.

Mobile - iPhone
SIM - T-Mobile USA * T-Mobile D * T-Mobile UK * Wind (it) * Vodafone Cz * Beeline Санкт-Петербург * APUA PCS (Antigua)

Old
  (#2)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 17-05-2007, 22:34

Well, I'd say the best SIM is an O2-UK or or Swiss-GSM postpaid with someone else paying the bill. In fact I carry a Mobil O2 SIM as a back-up, just in case. However, once you start considering Dollars, Euro, Yen, etc. it starts to get more complicated. Then what's best very strongly depends on your personal needs and travel habits. Does the SIM have to be used or topped-up regularly? Do you have many incoming calls or are most of your calls outgoing? How phone savvy are the people who call you? Do you need a phone number based in a particular country (e.g. US, UK)? Your SIM choice has to be tuned to your needs. There is no one best SIM.

Old
  (#3)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 18-05-2007, 01:06

CelTrek (which gives you a U.S. number) charges (for Costa Rica)19 cents incoming, 29 cents out to U.S. They also cover all Euro countries at varying rates - roughly the same price as other intl. cards if you factor in the cost to call the premium overseas numbers.
I believe I read here, recently, that one of those other intl. carriers now does cover CR, but can't find the post. If i recall, their rates were only about 10-15 cents more than CelTrek. Other intl. cards don't cover CR.
I assume you know CR does not have prepaid on their own system.

...mike

P.S. As DRN said, there is no "best" SIM.

Just found that United Mobile (+423) added CR. Incoming 25 cents (plus cost to call +423 cell) and $1.09 to call U.S.

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.

Last edited by snidely; 18-05-2007 at 01:21..

Old
  (#4)
GadgetKen (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 18-05-2007, 22:14

You may want to consider getting 2 international callback sims. Most have long expiration dates which can be extended by making a brief call or sending an sms text message a couple of times a year, and many can be easily refilled over the web. The United Mobile brand has been around for many years and use Mobilekom Liechtenstein as the backbone carrier. CelTrek I think uses Orange-Israel as the backbone carrier and is a newer operation, but has better rates in some countries (and worse in others) and lets you choose an incoming number in the US, UK or France.

That way if
1) there's a technical glitch with one card that can't be solved by redialing or selection of local carrier,
2) one callback sim offers a better rate than the other in the country your in, or
3) one sim lets you roam on a carrier with a stronger signal where you are trying to make a call from,

you can just swap sim cards.

Phones/Wireless Devices: Doogee S90, Isatphone Pro, Amazon Kindle 3G, SkyRoam MiFi device, Karma MiFi device, AT&T Liberate MiFi device
Sim Cards: T-Mobile (Mint), AT&T (Mifi device or Kindle), Koko
Satphone: InMarSat
Broadband US Wireless Data: AT&T postpaid, Sprint (Karma Mobility prepaid)
Broadband International Data: SkyRoam
VOIP: Skype

Old
  (#5)
elistoughton (Offline)
Official Member

Default 18-05-2007, 23:25

Okay. So CellTrek is a pretty reputable company?
Also, is there a way to dial +423 or +372 cheap. Or a good callback option so that for one call I would potentially only pay a flat fee for the callback. I was thinking of using VoipBuster to patch calls through, but there is a hefty per minute rate for +423 or +372.

Mobile - iPhone
SIM - T-Mobile USA * T-Mobile D * T-Mobile UK * Wind (it) * Vodafone Cz * Beeline Санкт-Петербург * APUA PCS (Antigua)

Old
  (#6)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 19-05-2007, 00:13

Really can't say much about celtrek, because they are pretty new.

You may want to look into callbackworld's PIN2DEST for calling +423 at an okay rate...at least compared to most other options. Most carriers have increased their rates to +423 drastically.

You'll also find out that quite a number of people here have more than 1 international sim. As GadgetKen mentioned, one might be better in certain situations that the other.

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#7)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 19-05-2007, 03:49

Does anyone know of a callback service that has flat-rate calling to CPP wireless phones? I certainly don't.

Old
  (#8)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 19-05-2007, 18:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by elistoughton View Post
Okay. So CellTrek is a pretty reputable company?
Also, is there a way to dial +423 or +372 cheap. Or a good callback option so that for one call I would potentially only pay a flat fee for the callback. I was thinking of using VoipBuster to patch calls through, but there is a hefty per minute rate for +423 or +372.
Calls to +423 cells vary all over. Many carriers charge 50 to 75 cents or more. IDT charges 11 cents and it has been posted here ATT the same.

Virtually everyone seems to charge around 25 cents to call +372.

There are some countries where the only real option is to get a local prepaid. Eg I'll be in Guatemala next week. Cingular and T-M charge over $2. Most intl. cards don't cover there. CelTrek charges about $1.40.
A local prepaid has calling to U.S. for 12 cents! Incoming is free and I'll use Voicestick to forward my home numbers to the Guatemala SIM at 11.2 cents.

...mike

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.

Old
  (#9)
elistoughton (Offline)
Official Member

Default 19-05-2007, 20:13

Would it be easiest to get a prepaid SIM in one European country, and just use that everywhere? Meaning, is there a local European SIM which allows free incoming when roaming throughout Europe.

Mobile - iPhone

Old
  (#10)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 19-05-2007, 23:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by elistoughton View Post
Would it be easiest to get a prepaid SIM in one European country, and just use that everywhere? Meaning, is there a local European SIM which allows free incoming when roaming throughout Europe.
Not a regular prepaid SIM. Some of the international SIMs have "free" incoming calls in many European countries,