PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old
  (#1)
Guthdog (Offline)

Default Best Strategy for Voice/Text/Data - 10 days between France and Germany - 05-09-2012, 21:32

Hello,

I am finally getting a chance to visit Europe in mid-September and I would like the forum's opinion on the best strategy to have access to voice/text and data during my, (unfortunately), short stay. I will be spending about five days in France, (Paris, Normandy, Verdun), and four in Germany, (Frankfurt, Otterbach).

I should note that data would be nice to have but it isn't absolutely critical since I'm sure I will have frequent access to Wi-Fi. In other words, if it is prohibitively expensive, I'll pass.

I have a Sprint Motorola Photon which is a "World Phone", (it is normally CDMA, but has a GSM SIM slot for use overseas).

I have done a little reading on the forum and it appears that SFR has very appealing plans, (unlimited texts etc), but coverage and support seems wanting. I am very open to different opinions.

My questions are as follows:

1) Is there one carrier that I can purchase a SIM from that would provide satisfactory service to both countries? I doubt it, but I had to ask.
2) Who are your favorite carriers for quality of service and coverage for France and for Germany, (assuming that I will have to change carriers during the trip).
3) Where should I acquire the SIM's, or should I leave this question for the concierge at my hotels?

Thanks in advance for your help and opinions.

Tags
france, germany, prepaidsimcard