PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Azzurri24 (Offline)

Default Italy trip: What 3G phone, which plan, data + voice. - 27-06-2011, 20:01

Ciao ragazzi,

I'm going on my annual trip to visit friends and family in Italy (Avellino area - about 45 minutes from Naples) this August. I go every year, and this time I want to buy and bring a smartphone (I have a Droid X here in the states). My parents have a Motorola Razor they keep there, but I want a phone that I can surf the net with, check my email on, Facebook with, and lastly, tether my laptop to. Where I live over there is very rural. Small paese (town) with about 800 people (if you count the stray dogs and cattle, maybe more like 950 The point is, my cousins don't have cable internet, and wifi isn't something that I'll find. So my plan is to buy an unlocked GSM smartphone to bring with me for the 12 days I'll be in Italy, so I'll have internet access. My questions are as follows:

1) Which unlocked 3G smartphone would you recommend?

While I do go annually, I will likely only use this phone once a year. So while something like the Nexus One for $260 is a consideration since it has the largest screen and can actually be used as a legit camera, a Samsung Galaxy i5500 for $130 might make more sense financially . I'm willing to spend $260 if it is recommended and makes sense to. If not then something in the $100-150 range might be preferable. Phones I've looked at:

Nexus One - $260 - 3.7" screen, 5 mp camera, Android Gingerbread OS, excellent reviews, etc.

Sony Ericcson Xperia X8 - $170 - 3" screen. 3.15 mp camera, Android 2.1 only unless manually upgraded to Froyo (ROM).

HTC myTouch 3G - $170 - 3.2" Screen, 3.15 mp camera, 2.1 Android situation same as Xperia, unlock issues with this phone.

Samsung Galaxy i5500 - $130 - 2.8" screen, 2.1 android only with manual to Froyo 2.2, only a 2 mp camera

LG Optimus GT540 - $120 - Android 1.6 up to 2.1, 3" screen, 3.15 mp camera

From what I've read, and please correct me if I am wrong, to "tether" a phone needs Android 2.2 Froyo. Is this correct? All advice, tidbits of info, and help is GREATLY appreciated.

2) Which SIM plan makes sense for me?

I'll be in Italy for just under 2 weeks and would like a data and voice plan. I probably won't make many, but data usage will likely be constant. Tethering to my laptop is what I really hope to do and use. So which carrier & plan would work best in the Avellino region, for 2 weeks time, and heavy data usage? I'm always on the internet here at home in the US.

3) What happens when I do get my phone?

Should I go to a local AT&T or T-Moblie store and buy a cheap SIM card to use to activate and update my phone here in the US before I leave for Italy? I've read that people do this. Also, how will I be sure that the phone I recieve is actually unlocked. Some reviewers over at Amazon and Newegg have posted that the "unlocked" phones they thought they were recieving, were actually locked. Any advice or experience here?

Sorry for the long post, but I like to be as informed as possible, and sometimes asking "dumb" to common questions is the best way to learn stuff. Again, thanks in advance fellas!

- Azz -

Old
  (#2)
rockjock (Offline)
Official Member

Default 27-06-2011, 20:12

Azz there are a great many options. I think you need to be sure the 3g frequency is supported by your handset. X10 is a good option cheap to get, 2.1 easy to tether loads of software for it. But an iphone fits the bill easily. I was in Germany last month with my iphone 3g worked flawless and I was able to sell it for much more than I could have here. I am not saying get a phone just to sell it but be aware of your options.

any q's just ask

Old
  (#3)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 28-06-2011, 11:47

Talking about coverage, I suggest you to check the coverage maps of the 4 Italian network providers and check how is the situation there. In such a small town it will be quite hard to have 3G... and if you don't have 3G forget about decent surfing, expecially with your PC. But you'll still be able to enjoy your Italian rural holiday!

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#4)
Azzurri24 (Offline)

Default 03-08-2011, 17:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi View Post
Talking about coverage, I suggest you to check the coverage maps of the 4 Italian network providers and check how is the situation there. In such a small town it will be quite hard to have 3G... and if you don't have 3G forget about decent surfing, expecially with your PC. But you'll still be able to enjoy your Italian rural holiday!
I leave tonight. I have my google nexus one, and my dad's old Italian motorola flip phone with his SIM in it. I have two questions.

1) Can I use his SIM card in my phone and get Data? I'm unsure if some SIM's are voice only, or if any SIM can be used for either.

2) Which is likely the best for my 2 week trip. WIND or TIM? In looking at the plans, I think one of the "Internet No Stop" deals from WIND works best.

I'll be in the Avellino area, so any advice on who has the best service there would be great. Ciao!

Old
  (#5)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 03-08-2011, 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzurri24 View Post
I leave tonight. I have my google nexus one, and my dad's old Italian motorola flip phone with his SIM in it. I have two questions.

1) Can I use his SIM card in my phone and get Data? I'm unsure if some SIM's are voice only, or if any SIM can be used for either.

2) Which is likely the best for my 2 week trip. WIND or TIM? In looking at the plans, I think one of the "Internet No Stop" deals from WIND works best.
Did you tell us which carrier you Dad's SIM is for? Is it active? The SIM's primary function is to authenticate access to the network. They don't generally hold the data settings. These will have to be entered manually, unless your phone as an automated data setup or the network will send you a configuration message. Part of the answer to your question depends on how you plan to us it. If the Nexus One also has WiFi, I might suggest you take out a subscription to Boingo Mobile WiFi roaming service.

Old
  (#6)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 10-08-2011, 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzurri24 View Post

I'll be in the Avellino area, so any advice on who has the best service there would be great. Ciao!
Italian sim-cards can be used both for voice and data, no problems.
Probably TIM will have slightly better coverage compared to Wind, but differences are not big these days.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim