PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
matie000 (Offline)

Default Personal Hotspots/Tethering -Which Pre-paid SIM's allow Tethering? - 03-02-2014, 02:32

Can anyone confirm if there are any pre-paid phone/data packages in Italy that allow the Personal Hotspot feature of my unlocked iPhone 5 to be used? I can't find any conclusive information confirming whether the major carriers like TIM, Tre, Vodafone etc allow their pre-paid phone/data packages to tether other devices to my iPhone.

Also, after looking at TIM's website they have some special offers for tourists but they all expire after 30 days and cannot be renewed, extended or repurchased. I will be in Italy for about 3 months on business/pleasure so need a pre-paid phone/internet package that allows my iPhone's Personal Hotspot to be used for tethering, and is rechargeable over a period longer than 30 days.

The package costs for data and calls are less important than ensuring I can tether my laptop and iPad and that there is good coverage outside the urban areas. Much time will be spent in rural Toscana, Umbria, Le Marche & Puglia.

I have combed the Tripadvisor forum, as well as several other forums, yet cannot find any recent information that answers my query. I speak Italian so also had a look at the actual Italian carriers' websites, yet I cannot find any specific info as to whether Personal Hotspots/tethering are allowed.

If tethering is not feasible, would an option be to buy a MiFi device and take out a separate data plan only for the MiFi and tether my laptop and iPad that way? Any suggestions as to what device and which carrier's pre-paid data plans can be used on MiFi devices?

I would appreciate any insight a recent visitor to Italy might have had. Thank you!
Gino

Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 05-02-2014, 17:57

You forgot to take a look on this website...
http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/italy.php
here is all information about Italy and there's written if an option allows tethering or not.
Unfortunately our pages are not updated to 2014, but I think they are still quite useful.
I promise to update them as soon as possible, but Italian operators like to change all their options too often and it's very hard to keep everything up to date!

BTW, usually options for "mobile surfing" don't allow tethering. With the only exception of Wind, which allow tethering on ALL its data bundles.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#3)
chrisc (Offline)

Default Hotspot/tethering - 07-03-2014, 19:43

Effendi,

Are you saying that if I get data on my phone, I will not be able to use it as a hot spot and connect to my impad - or even tether it? Unless I use the Wind network.

Old
  (#4)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 12-03-2014, 14:52

I'm saying that options for "mobile surfing only" don't allow tethering, while options for surfing the web with a usb-dongle of course allow tethering. Fortunately by now most Italian surfing options allow tethering, but still not all of them.
Surely with Wind all options allow tethering.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#5)
matie000 (Offline)

Default More info on Tethering in Italy - 12-03-2014, 21:05

Hi Effendi,
Thank you for your info on whether I can tether my laptop and iPad to my iPhone's SIM card using Apple's Personal Hotspot feature. Your link to various mobile providers' data/call plans was very helpful.

I also posted my query on the blog of a travel journalist who often visits Italy and comments on mobile phone useage. As this could be of interest to readers of this forum, I've posted the link to his reply below.

Apparently TIM SIM cards for mobile phones DO allow tethering other devices.

http://www.donaldstrachan.com/2014/0...lian-sim-card/

If all else fails I guess I can buy a separate data package for my laptop using a USB dongle or buy a portable MiFi device with a separate SIM and separate data plan, however I am trying to avoid all that by just using my iPhone's SIM card to tether other devices, just as I can do with my Call/data plan in Sydney.

Thanks again,
Matie000

Old
  (#6)
naco (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default Personal Hotspots/Tethering -Which Pre-paid SIM's allow Tethering? - 19-03-2014, 03:00

Hi, I know for sure that tethering (tested on a Nokia lumia with wifi hotspot) works with no additional charges with prepaid monthly plan "Tim special". Furthermore, i tried to read on some Italian forums and it seems it's the same with iOS devices.

On my iPhone I have tre prepaid weekly plan (it is advertised as a monthly plan, but charging is weekly) "all-in large" and I have been tethering other devices with no additional charges, despite this plan is intended "for surfing from smartphone only".

You may use also 4g data for additional 5€/month with Tim and 1€/month with tre. Consider Tim has a more capillar network and 4g is available also in some minor cities/villages, tre has 4g only in major cities. For a normal use 3G speeds should be enough.

If you need to go to really remote areas I may suggest Tim, since they operate also on capillar 2g network (with edge), indeed tre is 3-4g only.

Last edited by naco; 19-03-2014 at 03:16..

Old
  (#7)
matie000 (Offline)

Default 19-03-2014, 03:06

Thanks Naco. It's reassuring to hear that someone has actually done it recently. Cheers.

Tags
italy, personal hotspot, tethering