PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default Germany | Fonic's data dayflat (€ 2.50/day) now with price cap of € 25/month - 23-03-2010, 18:31

Fonic, who are perhaps the most recommended provider (especially for visitors) due to their low international tariffs and widespread availability through retailers (details: http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/euro...-visitors.html), have now introduced a price cap of € 25/month for their data dayflat, which has been costing € 2.50/calendar day (00:00-23:59 h). So now after using data for ten days within a month, there won't be any additional charges to your credit for during that certain month.
After exceeding 500MB per day or 5GB per month, bandwidth will be throttled to 64 KBit/s.

Remember that volume-based billing (€ 0.024/100 KB) is activated by default. To switch from volume-based billing to the dayflat tariff call customer care at 80000 (14 ct/min) or send an eMail through their web form (via this web page). Since eMails are not answered earlier than 24 hours, it might be preferable to request tariff switch by phone, which is carried out immdiately. An SMS will confirm activation of the new tariff option.

For more details on Fonic check out http://prepaid-wireless-internet-acc...ermany+-+Fonic

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Last edited by inquisitor; 23-03-2010 at 19:23..

Old
  (#2)
Evan (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 24-03-2010, 10:02

Thanks for spotting that inquisitor. Still the offer from Tchibo is 5€ cheaper but given their billing increments of 400KB and their higher call rates, now Fonic seems to be a better deal overall.

Also a small notice/amendment about the very useful guide about the activation of the SIM card.

http://prepaid-wireless-internet-acc...ermany+-+Fonic

I activated a Fonic two weeks ago and on the Step 5, a Passport Number and the Nationality are not needed anymore. They ask only for the date of birth and an email address.

Old
  (#3)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 24-03-2010, 19:30

Sure Tchibo is cheaper if you go online for more than 8 days per month, but Fonic is cheaper if you use data for 7 days or less. Nevertheless some people may prefer Fonic even when used for more than 8 days due to the more widespread availability through retailers, the low voice and SMS rates (especially the international ones) and the fact you need to maintain only one SIM during your stay in Germany and so less unused credit is likely to remain after leaving Germany.

As of the registration procedure, I amended step 5. Btw anyone can edit that page, as all the others on the "prepaid wireless internet access wiki".

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Last edited by inquisitor; 24-03-2010 at 19:36..

Old
  (#4)
Evan (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 26-03-2010, 10:42

Yes, Fonic seems to be more favorable option for short stays in Germany.

And thanks for the info about the wiki page

Old
  (#5)
Evan (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 21-04-2010, 09:46

Two recent developments on Fonic mobile:

1. They've introduced a third data tariff, particularly suitable for mobile handsets, the "mobile internet pack" with included data volume of 200MB for 9.95€/month.

To activate the data plan send an SMS with the text START HANDYINTERNET to 36642. To deactivate it, send the text STOP HANDYINTERNET again to 36642. With both activation/deactivation you will receive an SMS confirmation.

The 9.95€ are taken automatically off your remaining credit in the beginning of each calendar month (except if there is insufficient credit). Also, after exceeding the 200MB per month, bandwidth will be throttled to GPRS speed.

2. They have started offering number portability. On top of that, all new subscribers that will port their numbers from their old provider to Fonic, they will get 1 month free calls to all German networks.

More info (in German) here:

FONIC -- Das ist die Wahrheit.

FONIC -- Fragen zu "Mein Fonic Vertrag"

Old
  (#6)
zaarciniex (Offline)

Default 09-05-2010, 21:41

The other thing about Fonic is that their advertised cheap calling rates to most of the Europes landlines does not seem to work everywhere.

They promised to fix this, but already over a month it does not work as it should...

Old
  (#7)
zaarciniex (Offline)

Default 09-05-2010, 21:44

Internet seems to be working fine, except some areas and evenings, when I believe due to the number of users it gets slower....

And the remark I am not used to that refilling if You have run empty, after the working hours takes a lot of time to activate...

I wonder why does that is not happening automatically....

Old
  (#8)
Evan (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 11-05-2010, 09:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaarciniex View Post
The other thing about Fonic is that their advertised cheap calling rates to most of the Europes landlines does not seem to work everywhere.

They promised to fix this, but already over a month it does not work as it should...
Do you know for which countries it doesn't work? I'm calling landlines in many countries (UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, Greece, Italy to name a few) and it always charges the advertised rate, i.e., 9c/min.

Old
  (#9)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 11-05-2010, 19:54

Quote:
Internet seems to be working fine, except some areas and evenings, when I believe due to the number of users it gets slower....
That's a common effect on a shared medium. Anyway, from my experience bandwidth has improved on the German O2 network on average during the past year, as O2 have intensively optimized their network by installing and upgrading 8000 base stations from Huawei.

Quote:
And the remark I am not used to that refilling if You have run empty, after the working hours takes a lot of time to activate...
I don't understand what your problem is exactly. Do you mean it takes some time after redeeming a top up voucher until it's credited?

Old
  (#10)
zaarciniex (Offline)

Default 11-05-2010, 21:36

Quote:

I wonder why does that is not happening automatically....
My particular concern is Latvia, however I tried neighbouring countries and it worked as it should.

When You dial the landline the operator says that: Die von Ihnen gewaelte Laendervorwahl is aus dem Automobilfunknetz nicht erreichbar.

And the reply from the operator help desk was the following:
-------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Sunday, April 11, 2010 12:46 AM
To: jxxxxxxxxxxom
Subject: Re: Produkt #1004- 341958#

Sehr geehrter Herr xxxxx,

vielen Dank für Ihre Anfrage bei FONIC.

Es gibt zur Zeit Probleme aus dem O2-Netz in das ausländische Festnetz zu telefonieren, diese betrifft mehrere Länder. Die Techniker von O2 arbeiten daran den Fehler schnellstmöglich zu beheben.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
So there has been no changes yet, and it affects the whole O2 network as the same thing is happening when I am calling out on my postpaid mobile connected to O2.

Tags
fonic, germany