Old
  (#280)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 03-01-2014, 22:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtheprof View Post
just back from Austria, UK, and Canada.
I really want to like Piranha, best rates, UK/US numbers included free, the VOIP integration with same numbers....
BUT: data does not always work reliably, seems to come in and out. The selection of carriers seems somewhat random, in Austria, I was sometimes on a carrier that allowed direct dial, sometimes not (A1) and carriers have significant differences in phone and data charges. The callback system worked OK in UK, but not in Austria at all.

Before I left, I asked for UK number on SIM to be primary, so that people could call me back on local number, but then texts didn't work at all, in or out. (customer service did warn me this might be a problem, but it really needs fixing!).

Wife was using UK Orange SIM card, and no problems, but they don't have good PAYG bundles for EU. Also used Truphone as backup.
David -
Since you are in U.S., wouldn't it be much cheaper to switch to T-Mobile which includes among its 100 roaming partners all the EU for free data and text and 20¢/min. voice in and out to all those countries (and back to U.S.) when roaming?

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.