View Single Post
Old
  (#16)
Prefect (Offline)

Default 14-07-2013, 13:58

Currently, as of mid-July 2013, M-tel has the shittiest network out of the 3 top BG operators.

Since I'm traveling around for about a month and really need a descent connection, I have gotten 2 prepaid cards from 2 different operators -
- M-tel Prima (1.5GB package for 29.90 Leva) and
- Globul GoWeb (1.0GB for 29.90 Leva).

I'm using both of them for half a month already at various places in Bulgaria (Sofia, Varna, some rural places at the southern Black Sea beach, etc.) and have to say that Globul's coverage is pretty descent - HSPA everywhere, no packet loss and good packet round-trip times (like ~100ms from here to Germany).

M-tel's network is really *horrible* - low signal strength, connection frequently bouncing between UMTS/HSPA and EDGE, almost half of the packets getting lost or delayed for several seconds (!). Round trip times to google.com for example average at about 2,200ms. It looks like it's constantly overloaded, regardless of location and connection speeds. Since I need reliable interactive sessions with good response times, M-tel's network is practically unusable for me.

I have no opinion on Vivacom's network yet, but likely will ditch M-tel and get a Vivacom sim card as a backup next time.