Thread: Turkey Report
View Single Post
Old
  (#3)
DaveRo (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 09-10-2009, 23:10

I'll probably be in Turkey for 8 to 10 weeks next year, and require GPRS in small volumes - 1Mb/day is enough.

Vodafone
charge 750units/month, 33€, for unlimited GPRS * - this looks OK

Turkcell
charge ~ 1€/Mb * - or there is the offer mentioned by Demonboy in the YBW thread Richard linked to: 4Gb for 290 credits (~25€)

I suspect that my main problem is IMEI registration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocknock View Post
IMEI REGISTRATION
Vodafone handled this as part of my SIM card purchase...
What documentation did they want to see? The regulations mention invoices to prove that you bought it. I have several phones but they were all given to me or off ebay - I have no invoices or proof of ownership.

I suppose I could use each one until it stopped working - but I'd rather not get them on the blacklist.

I suppose also that Vodafone might be more willing to do IMEI registration for foreign phones than Turkcell. Anybody have any experience of that with Turkcell? And I'd be arriving by boat not air, so it'd probably be Marmaris or Bodrum not Istanbul airport.

Any ideas on the cheapest way to acquire a whitelisted Turkish phone with GPRS and Bluetooth? AFAICS the whitelisting applies to use in Turkey, not use with a particular operator - can anyone confirm that?

Dave

(* Prices from this site - can't find them in English on the operators' websites.)