View Single Post
Old
  (#53)
GadgetKen (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 18-05-2018, 23:07

Agree with you it's nice having a roaming sim for the second slot of a dual sim phone. I filed a second trouble ticket for the second Piranha chip I got for my father's emergency phone.

I'm cutting and pasting the (rather long) explanation on the Piranha website:

"Important Announcement For Account Number xxx
PIRANHA TELECOMS ANNOUNCES NEW SIM CARDS
Piranha Mobile would like to announce a new SIM Card. If you have an old Piranha Card that has stopped working? Simply use the Support Ticket and select “Please provide me one of your new replacement SIM cards” along with your existing SIM details and Customer Account Number found above. Please make sure your account current address is up to date for delivery of your new SIM. We shall transfer your existing balance across to the new SIM.
Background to the change

Since Know Roaming (KR) took over the operations of the carrier Telna, we have become increasingly aware of a reduction in the quality of the service being provided, causing us major concerns about the commercial viability of operations long-term and causing us to deeply regret the sale of Telna by the original founders.
Over the past year, we have repeatedly raised tickets which have not been answered and some of the support tickets that we have raised remain unanswered even after 18 months!
In addition to the problems over technical support tickets, we and other providers using the KR/Telna platform have identified the severe lack of technical knowledge in the KR/Telna staff we have contacted.
We have also complained that KR customers are able to purchase call rates at below wholesale pricing, forcing us into providing a subsidy to our customers and causing us unsustainable losses in the long term.
KR/Telna announced a new platform around July 2017 but refused to provide us with details of the platform and under our data-protection (GDPR) obligations, we were unable to transfer to the new platform as we could not verify the security of your data.
Users may be aware that certain roaming agreements were not maintained by Telna’s new owners, causing changes in connectivity and rates, and loss of certain countries.
We have the write to advise you that KR/Telna have, by force majeure, removed the rate bands from the KR/Telna databases and increased the termination rates by up to 800%, effectively crashing the connectivity systems of KR/Telna resellers. These amount to a force majeure event within your contract, for which Piranha Telecoms has no liability. Any liability arises solely with KR/Telna under their licence conditions.
In light of the above, some weeks ago Piranha Telecoms commenced contingency planning for just such an event, whether a wholesale removal of resellers or KR/Telna ceasing trading. It turns out that this was time well spent.
Piranha Telecoms is now able to offer replacement SIM Cards of a higher quality, just follow the instructions and we will post out new SIM. One immediate advantage is that we can ditch call-back and give you direct dial and superior connectivity.
Although Piranha Telecoms has no liability due to force majeure, we will still guarantee your balance. This means that any Piranha Telecoms consumer customer who moves over to Piranha Telecoms new platform will have a new card sent out, the new card will show the same balance that your old card showed at the point that KR/Telna cut off its resellers. When you receive your new card and if you want to retain your US number you will need to contact KR/Telna directly for porting information."

Interesting that they are going to a direct dial rather than callback sim card(direct dial is much easier to use). And also that they aren't proactively emailing all Piranha sim card customers that have an older style sim card informing them of this change. While I can understand that this would be a force majeure event, they should notify people by alternate means like the email address on file if they know most if not all Telna based cards are down right now.

Phones/Wireless Devices: Doogee S90, Isatphone Pro, Amazon Kindle 3G, SkyRoam MiFi device, Karma MiFi device, AT&T Liberate MiFi device
Sim Cards: T-Mobile (Mint), AT&T (Mifi device or Kindle), Koko
Satphone: InMarSat
Broadband US Wireless Data: AT&T postpaid, Sprint (Karma Mobility prepaid)
Broadband International Data: SkyRoam
VOIP: Skype