View Single Post
Old
  (#9)
wolfbln (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 15-04-2018, 20:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerlifter View Post
I understand your point that you are trying to make, but I don't understand something. When I am in Europe or the Middle East I put my UK 3 sim card in my phone. I still have Skype, WhatsApp, and facetime. If I want to download Line I can free of cost. I just have to pay for calling a nonline user like with Skype.
Of course, when I use Skype it comes out of my subscription cost.
In Germany where you live you cannot download, Viber, Line, WhatsApp? I understand that Viber and Line charge to make calls. Is the 25 Euros part of a subscription for calls being made by Line and Viber? If so I can see why the charge of 25 Euros.
Sure, we all love these apps and can download and use them. But they all consume data. And this is where the telcos make their money.
There are some free options in many countries: Netzclub in Germany gives 100 MB per month for free for some ads; Three in the UK has the "Data rewards SIM" with a similar model.

When we are talking about a throttle it's essential to note at what speed. There are some options for messaging. You only need 2G/EDGE speeds as long as you don't send pics. But this is too slow for Skype. You should have a 3G or 4G network esp. if you make a video call.
There is a certain market for slow "flatrates" just to send WhatsApp messages or Twitter posts. There are even presidents who consider Twitter as their favorite way to communicate.
This only consumes very little data, so a small data package or a "social plan" is sufficient. You can find something like this in every country on the market.

But when it comes to international roaming, things get real complicated. In Europe under the new "roam like at home" rules, the surcharges have been scrapped. But for overseas roaming charges have been raised....
So for instance, imagine this scenario: I go to the US with a couple of friends. I don't use data, only apps to communicate with them like WhatsApp which is the most popular in Europe for individuals or Telegram for groups. My own provider will rip me off in the US for every data use - even if T-Mobile US is mostly owned by Deutsche Telekom. In the US you don't get a prepaid plan with very little data for a month or two for less than let's say $30 (including start-up with a SIM card).

So getting a €10 SIM plan (which is little more than $12) valid for a year, that's how they sell it on this side of the Atlantic, just for using messenger apps can be an option for some users in certain circumstances. I don't consider this as a rip-off. We only are amazed how €10 in Europe translate into $25 in the US - based on the current exchange rate, these numbers just don't add up.

Last edited by wolfbln; 15-04-2018 at 20:35..