View Single Post
Old
  (#152)
Evan (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 14-03-2011, 09:37

@wisniak: If you want to use the new Mobile Hotspot feature of iOS 4.3, I read that Vodafone allows it only with its Data Plan #4 (Vodafone KartoInternet). On Cosmote and Wind the Mobile Hotspot is activated on all their data plans. This of course is a limitation/"feature" of iOs only. Other devices/OS (Android, WinMo or WiFi modems) can still do a Mobile Hotspot.

@timmfive: Regarding your problem with the speed decrease from "1M down/up to 50k down/up", I just read on a Greek Q forum, that few people have the same problem but only if they've far exceeded their 100MB data allowance. People who used more than 1 or 2GB had their speed throttled to 40-50kB/s while others who have used 2-5GB had their speed throttled to GPRS, i.e., 4-7kB/s. Since you've used the plan for tethering, have you've exceeded the 100MB data plan by far?

I'm not sure if the local Wind store agent can help you to get the speed back but alternatively you can contact the customer care through their site or mail to crm@wind.com.gr.

@Majkee(SK): Welcome to the forum and thank you for your report. Postpaid (data) plans are the best solution for people who will stay in Greece for at least 2 months or more, since the terms of the contracts are quite "flexible" comparing to many other countries (e.g. Germany). Most of the contracts last for 12 months but you can cancel them at any time after the first month. And if you got an unsubsidized contract you don't pay anything for the cancellation. On a subsidized contract you pay the price of the device subsidy.

Regarding the speed of "only 512kbit/s", consider yourself lucky you got that especially in Thessaloniki. I read reports of many problems in Thessaloniki (and elsewhere), because many of the antennas were taken down. There is a recent craze where many uninformed locals and their mayors consider that the mobile radiation is bad, so they make petitions, gather signatures, go to court and take the antennas down. As for the islands, the situation varies depending on where you will stay or which network you will use.

In general, and this applies also to short stay visitors, before committing to a postpaid plan or an "expensive" prepaid plan, it is advisable to check first the network coverage and speeds of the area that you will be staying. To do this, just get a prepaid SIM card from all three operators (cost 5€ or in many cases free), subscribe to a 60-100MB data add-on (3-5€) and check the network speeds. You will save yourselves from a lot of frustration and money.