View Single Post
Old
  (#205)
davidtheprof (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 07-07-2013, 13:55

back from a cruise to Baltics, was using multiple sims.
Piranha overall was the best, in terms of rates and accessing numbers in multiple countries. Was often able to get data several miles offshore, and phone signal 10-12 miles.

And data rates in Europe have been reduced from 53c to 38c/MB. Goodbye Truphone! didn't bother to even try Tru, as their rates for non-EU residents are uncompetitive. Call back generally reliable, but occasionally had to try multiple times.

But SMS didn't work at all on Piranha, in or out, only got the "welcome to x country" message. I should have switched the "active" number to the UK one instead of US, but still, outgoing SMS didn't work at all.

Piranha's VOIP on Acrobits is excellent and cheap, and I love the fact it uses the same numbers as the main sim.

(For data, I also used O2 sim in old phone as wifi hotspot, initially 25MB for GBP 2 (2 pounds) - then they reduced to 15MB half way! Also, can only use for phones, when I tried to connect laptop, it locked up after a few mins, O2 must have tethering detection.

One weird thing, after nearly a week on cruise, the piranha sim started locking on to the ship's Cellular at Sea network - as phones "check in" and use data every 30 mins or so, this started costing me 2 pounds an hour (min 100kb charge, 10 pounds/MB), before I noticed and disabled data.