View Single Post
Old
  (#16)
kupe (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 10-09-2010, 00:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa View Post
I can't find an unlimited world 3G Data plan from ATT. Could you provide a link? What does it cost? Thanks.
Grampa-

As Snidely said, ATT does not advertise this plan anywhere that I know of. Here's the stuff you need to know.

1) It is only available to Business customers. But don't worry- if you are on any corporate or professional discount FAN code with ATT, you might already qualify. I qualified by virtue of being on my employer's corporate FAN code for ATT discount.

2) You can only switch to the Unlimited World plan if you already have a Domestic Unlimited plan. ATT stopped accepting new unlimited plans a couple months ago, but if you already have one, you can switch to this one.

3) There is a one-year contract.

4) The plan costs $64.99/month (less any discount per the FAN code above). The good news is that it replaces your existing $30/month Domestic unlimited plan. So net increase is $34.99/month (or less with your discount.)

5) The plan is almost global, but not quite. Here is the list of countries with Data Roaming agreements with ATT. For example, Russia is conspicuously absent.
Roam Zone for Discounted Rate Plans - Wireless from AT&T

Okay, still interested? Gather all your patience and call the ATT International Desk at 877-707-9208. Be very prepared for the first (or second) person you speak to to not have even heard of this plan. Be polite but firm and eventually you will find somebody who's set one up. If it helps, here is the billing code from the monthly invoice. Read that to them and they might be able to search it.

IPH_DOM_INTL_DATA_RZ $64.99
IP_DOM_INTL_UNLIM $0.00

Now, as to the cost/benefit. Yes, this plan is for somebody who spends serious time traveling abroad- a couple weeks a month in my case. Even so, you might not spend $34.99/month using your eKit or TravelSim or whatever.

But this isn't about just calling. Having the full functionality of your iPhone available everywhere in the world without worrying about insane data bills is, well, priceless if you need it. Even better, it's freed me from hauling a laptop except on the longest trips. And yes, having Skype over 3G at your fingertips for free or nearly free calls is fantastic.

I've even offset some of the cost of the plan by virtue of the fact that I no longer Text from abroad- which ATT dings you at .50/outgoing message. Instead I use Skype Chat. Those .50 texts do add up! Oh, and it was simply fun finishing up my work day in my hotel abroad by watching a Netflix streaming movie over 3G the other night!

Really, this is a game-changing plan if it suits your needs. This is how data and voice should be- transparent, everywhere, seamless.

Hope this helps!

Kupe

Last edited by kupe; 10-09-2010 at 00:54..