View Single Post
Old
  (#15)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 31-01-2010, 04:32

Andy -
I do agree I don't need to use a $65/mo roaming package I don't travel enough or use that much data. I just mentioned it here because it might be of use to heavy travelers.
Maybe you can enlighten me. Assume a moderately heavy user runs 3000 minutes a month. (Heavy business users here often run over 5000. Assume that half are incoming, half are outgoing. Am I correct that someone - the user's home, office (his office if he forwards his land business line to his cell when out) - is paying for that call. What would the total cost be of 1500 minutes placed to that cell?
"Unlimited" data plans here run about $20-%30/mo. Virtually all carriers put a "soft cap" on that unlimited - 5GB/mo. After that they "throttle back" the speed you get. I think T-Mobile gives you 10GB before a throttle back. Those of us w. BBerry service have the same limits on data, I belive. The data, I believe, is routed thru RIM's servers.
So enlighten me. Give me the cost of a BBerry user, making 1500 min. outgoing, paying for 1500 min. incoming, and 2GB of data on top of his BB email.
If I read you correctly, data might be cheaper there. Oh - how about SMS? I know incoming is free there. We "pay" both in and out - but unlimited pakgs. are about $15. Those w.o. an SMS plan pay 15-20 cents each in and out.

I raised the unlimited data plan here - because I thought the techies here could figure out a way to make voice calls via the data connection. If that is possible, it definitely would pay a whole lot of people to get that plan.

Voice rates here have plummeted in the past 2 years. If you were on one of the 2 high priced carriers (att and verizon), a heavy voice user was paying well over $200/mo. About a year ago, they both came out w. unlimited plans for $100. T-Mobile dropped that to $50 for long time users. Then a couple months ago, T-M gave that $50 rate to everyone. This past month, the big 2 dropped unlimited voice to $70/mo. (That's the retail rate. Businesses get various discounts.)

...mike

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20ยข/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.