View Single Post
Old
  (#2)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 01-02-2010, 13:40

I was there during the last month and I bought a Telcel Amigo pack for 149 pesos. (8 Euros) That also came with 50 pesos of credit. Be prepared to go to a main Telcel office, as the smaller shops will not be able to sell you without you having a national ID number. In a Telcel shop you can buy with a photocopy of your passport.

I mainly used my SIM for incoming calls (I had setup a callback) but overall it served me very well. Incoming calls are free only in your area code, which is usually quite a small area. In my case it was a 50km length of the coast, but I was there most of the time.

Do a search for Telcel here on the forum. The other provider is Movistar, but I think their prepaid packs are a bit more expensive. Maybe RTuesday will also come back with some more details.

Edit: To call Europe, the best rate I found was with dialnow.com or rynga.com. The callback to Mexico is 5c/min or 6c/min, and rates to most landlines to Europe are 0c/min so total price is 6c/min! You need to download the Betamax Java voipclient for your phone from voipbuster. Too much to explain for that, but there are already some good instructions elsewhere here on the forum. Just do a few searches.

Last edited by petkow; 01-02-2010 at 13:50.. Reason: Added use of voipclient