View Single Post
Old
  (#125)
timmfive (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 12-10-2010, 15:07

Hi all, love this site. Have been using in the UK (3), France (Orange), Italy (TIM), and Greece (Q) to get unlimited internet on my Nexus One android phone. (France was very tricky, and Italy was 250MB/month).

Anyway, there have been some great contributors for this Greek thread.
After reading all 13 pages it seemed like the best/obvious/only option was Wind and the ~€18 for 1G deal. :-/ (Which frankly, isn't great... pretty expensive for 1G)
So I went into a Wind shop the other day to get the above.
There were two useless agents, but one really good guy there who knew his stuff.

I explained that what was most important for me was internet on my phone.
He knew about the Wind 1G/30day "deal", but said he was going to sell me the Q package as he reckoned it was unlimited.
I said that it seemed Q was only 100M a month, or whatever, and he said that while that is what it says, it is really unlimited.
It was only a €5 risk and I am currently at ~500M and its still working.

It was a bit painful to get working, but here is my workflow:

1) Q-card, buy it for €5 at a Wind store. I think it comes with €1 credit which will be used below.
2) install it in phone. On my Android it shows a little "R" next to the network, meaning Roaming, but the guy reckoned that was normal. Said it was cause WIND bought Q and their network roams on WINDs... if that makes sense... i was a bit worried about this initally.
But I think the most important point here is, in your android/iphone whatever, you will need to enable the tickbox to "enable data when roaming".
2.5) APN is simply "myq" for name/APN. nothing else changed.
3) Dial 1333. not sure what this is, but you will hear a Greek recording, then a long tone. Apparently this is just a normal call to activate/unlock the SIM.
4) Buy "Q" credit from a kiosk/tobacco shop. I bought €5.
5) to install the credit i had to dial 1223, listen to what sounds like an advertisment, wait for a slight pause in the recording, enter 16-digit credit code, follow by #. (the tobacco agent was kind enough to help me with this... i just put it on speakerphone!)
6) dial 12200, press 1, 1, 1. this should activate the 1500 SMS/etc package mentioned in previous posts.
7) reboot your phone.
hopefully at this point you will see your 3G data icon start working.
9) don't take the p1ss with the data connection especially when/if tethering to netbook.
9.5) don't tell too many people about this and hope it lasts.
10) enjoy!

TIM

PS: ~500k down/300k up. worked acceptably for a sip call.
if there are any Q users out there who know how to change any of the menus/texts to english, please let me know.