View Single Post
Old
  (#4)
toofrequentflyer (Offline)

Default 28-03-2012, 14:42

Thanks for your helpful responses. I do like the idea of 3 because it would be usable in Italy. The issue of calls to Italy being counted as overseas is not a major concern as I would likely be making few if any calls to Italian numbers. There is a Niedermeyer shop a couple of stops away on the U-bahn so it would not be a problem to go there.

However the fact that the add-on packets have to be canceled by phone is a slight complication given my poor German (and it seems like a strange way to do business in this age of the internet).

Thus I may go with Yesss instead. It would be easy to buy as there is a Hofer about a 10 minute walk from my hotel. The procedure for buying add-on international plan seems slightly complicated (reserve the packet first by SMS, then make a top-up afterwards). I would then have the adventure of buying a prepaid SIM in Italy.

Anyway it looks like there are several good options. One nice thing is that it seems almost all Austrian prepaid cards now have a validity of 12 months. This is convenient because I go to Vienna every spring for a regular conference.

Again, thanks for your help.