View Single Post
Old
  (#157)
NFH (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 07-06-2013, 20:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwi View Post
I wonder where the "order" to send the SMS originates? I would have a hard time believing that the phone issues the order, given that Iphones are sold around the world and I doubt that an Iphone in the US for example would send an SMS to the UK. Was the Iphone in question originally locked to Vodafone?
The iPhone gives the order to send the SMS. It displays a warning the first time a SIM is inserted but doesn't do so on subsequent insertions of the same SIM. It is puzzling that the iPhone can remember a previously used SIM card with regard to the warning message but still needs to send the text to verify the SIM's phone number when it has already done so for the same SIM in the past.

All iPhones send SMS to these Vodafone UK numbers, irrespective of who supplied the iPhone or SIM card. If you look around various forums, you will see complaints about this from many countries. There are rarely complaints from UK users because most UK users have inclusive SMS to other UK mobile numbers; the problem affects UK users only when roaming. Many (but not all) iPhone supported carriers suppress the charges for SMS to these numbers. I also believe that a US number has been introduced to run in parallel with the Vodafone UK numbers, although the iPhone's criteria for its selection are not clear.