Thread: Toggle Mobile
View Single Post
Old
  (#511)
wolfbln (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 21-03-2015, 23:20

I don't know how Lyca treats incoming roaming. But I'm suspicious, when they'd skipped it and are not loosing one word about it And here is a good hint hidden in the ongoing "no roaming costs when travelling to Poland" promotion of Lycamobile UK, see: http://www.lycamobile.co.uk/en/no-ro...avel-to-poland

Quote: No roaming costs when travelling to Poland..... Lycamobile customers now retain their existing tariffs when visiting Poland, eliminating roaming costs and saving you money. All calls back to UK will be charged at our standard local rates, whilst calls to a Polish SIM card will be fixed at our fantastic, standard international rates. Take the stress and the expense out of travelling, with Lycamobile. Here they clearly say, which roaming charges they mean and I can't help the feeling their other promotion is very similar....

Some telcos are clearly doing tricks with "roaming charges" right now and Lyca is probably one of them. They take a very narrow definition of roaming like this: Roaming charges are surcharges to the domestic rate when you are abroad. Well, one can subscribe to this.

And here is the trick: They make a distinction between international and roaming rates. According to this: Call rates for calling abroad are of course not domestic rates, but international ones, which are charged substantially higher. So the high rates calling e.g. from Germany to Spain or within Spain on roaming when you use a German SIM card are in fact no "roaming rates" but your regular international call rates. And these very rates are not inflated by roaming surcharges (they are high anyway).

According to this strange logic: All roaming surcharges apply only between the home and the roaming country, because all other rates are in the international category like IDD calls. The problem in this thinking is, that there are essentially no "domestic" or "international" countries anymore, when roaming charges are really going to be slashed one day.

Last edited by wolfbln; 21-03-2015 at 23:35..