View Single Post
Old
  (#12)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 18-09-2008, 14:40

I wonder if 3 UK charges in smaller increments than 1k. I got 7 separately connected ~1400 byte messages for a penny, which would be 3 pence in Europe and some other countries.

There are other mobile Java programs, such as Vyke and Voipbuster, and a new arrival called Fishtext. A bit off-topic: both Vyke and Voipbuster clients can also use their callback services

Vyke used to charge 2 US cents per message, but has recently gone up to 6 cents. It was my favourite until a protracted discussion with them about their switch to a Java MIDP 2.0 version of Lite and withdrawal of the old one [is the word 'deprecated' a vogue amongst software engineers?]. They also have a version with free messages between users who are both online, as do others. For people without inclusive data packages, it may be wise not to leave this type permanently on, to avoid constant pings to check for updates.

The Voipbuster client can use any of the Betamax brands. Their sms rates are something of a movable feast; there have been occasional free message offers in the past, some with fair-use conditions that weren't all that clear, and for a long time the rates were a cent or two each, but are now typically 4 cents or so.

Fishtext appeared a few weeks ago, rates from 2 or 3 eurocents each. I wouldn't expect problems, as they've run an online service cbfsms for some time. They claim to have compression techniques that use less data. I've only just signed up a trial account, synchronise settings (?) twice, did a couple of balance checks, test about four tariffs, sent one message, used about 3k.

There are quite few services which will send non-sms messages between two of their subscribers free, and I don't know them all

It seems that many of these clients now are only supporting MIDP 2.0 version of Java [check version], so if downloads or installs are found not to work on an older phone, that's a possible reason. It may be worth trying to find an old version, but some are no longer supported (Vyke as I mentioned).

There are also services which send sms from websites, with some useful possibilities, but I don't know if we want to go into this here

Last edited by andy; 18-09-2008 at 14:48..