View Single Post
Old
  (#283)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 05-01-2014, 06:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtheprof View Post
thanks, actually been on T-Mob for years, but would need to pay hefty fee to go to "simple choice" plan before 2 yr contract is up... The new plan kicks in next week, I'll try on next trip. But I'll miss the SIM card fun!

Do you have experience with T-Mob? data is meant to be very slow, not sure if adequate for maps, weather, etc. And I would still want to give local folks in EU a UK number, so I'd use a Piranha SIM to forward to my US number.
Several of us made use of the incl intl roaming right after it went into effect when we were in China for a wedding end of Oct. for a week and then stopped in Hong Kong for 4 days. There were 5 or 6 of us w. T-Mobile phones while in China. A speed test I did was exactly the 128kbs they advertised it would be. Email, Google Maps worked fine. Even gave traffic conditions like at home! I did a test of Pandora music for 15 minutes - didn't miss a beat. Listened to audio streaming of a college football game for 3 hours - perfect clarity. Wife even did her Facebook thing. AND, yes, we weren't blocked by the great Chinese (internet) Wall. Using TM's server seemed to avoid all that.
Maps probably did load about 30-45 seconds longer than usual - but once you have the area maps in, any minor updating that needs to be done is quick as you move about the same city. Wife didn't complain about Facebook. Voice and text worked perfectly - both locally and back to U.S.
We noticed no real problem looking up weather.

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20ยข/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.