View Single Post
Old
  (#130)
wolfbln (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 15-04-2017, 13:26

Hi. I used the bad weather on Good Friday to write the new article for roaming in the EU/EEA for the Wiki.

Please check it out: http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.c...pean_Union_NEW
And tell me what you think, what to add and what can be left out.
It will replace the old site with the old rules from June.

Writing this I really don't know what to do. Some people have already decided a verdict on the new rules. For some it's the end of all roaming charges, others see no real progress.

I don't want to subscribe to any of these views. We simply need to wait how providers will implement the new rules this summer.

The first new plans or tariffs for the time past June 17 are coming in. They are both encouraging and frustrating. For instance Orange in Belgium will implement the rules without any strings attached, but Orange in neighboring Luxembourg will undercut it by a special domestic offer valid in Luxembourg only. Luxembourg without roaming???

So you see the different operators react diffently according to market. Vodafone has been very groundbreaking so far and announced "roam like at home" for most of their major markets. In Spain they actually include the US to their fee-free zone. But what are they going to do in "cheap" countries like Romania?

Ironically, "roam like at home" is a principle that should bring people in Europe together. But as it looks now, some of the richer countries will usually get it, while users in some poorer countries will still face limitations.