View Single Post
Old
  (#13)
SIMCollector (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 20-10-2009, 17:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by petkow View Post
Wow... thanks! It will take me a while to wade through that, but I will try! Thank you very much!
Your welcome...

I use to have to use proxies when I was living in Asia. But now it is more to enable something or for security purposes. Many of the published free proxies are not so good - still if you have a tool to test them you can find out what they are like from your position on the net.

I think the suggestion made before is probably the best is you want a dependable service.

However, something I started to look into, was to use one of the free shell accounts available and then set up a SSH (Secure Shell) tunnel through that. These are better than the free proxies gathered by some of the services in the links I have given. To apply for some of the free shell account you have to justify your need for the shell account - usually a good reason is to learn UNIX or something like that. Typically the the mods/operators will be *NIX people and will like that. Also be aware that some of the free shell acounts specifically do not allow people to use then for SSH tunelling.

Interestingly today I received a message on the Full Disclosure security mailing list stating that using a tunnel via SSH is more stable than a VPN - I'm surprised to heat this, but then I havent really used either of them very much.

However, I will say that using TOR (The Onion Router) is cool as is you use Vidalia you can see where you network traffic is going. But for your purpose of having an IP in the country of the service you want to use, I don't know if there is a way to get TOR to only use out nodes in the country you specify ie UK or US. I have used TOR a lot and it works very well.

I have to use a proxy soon as I want to get my Google Voice account and I need a reliable US IP for both getting a SIPGate.com US DID and doing the sign-up to GV...