Thread: SIMpool
View Single Post
Old
  (#8)
SIMCollector (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 23-07-2010, 01:21

I think its a great idea.

If you look at similar business models there is something like the private car share schemes. So we have :

* The SIM can only be used by 1 person at a time
* The person who uses the SIM is responsible for it from request to return
* The SIM user is responsible to return it to the holder with the same or more value then it was received with
* Care of the SIM needs to be taken by the borrower and there may be special requests ie buy a number of top-up cards to keep it alive for so many months/years

I'm pretty sure it is possible to copy SIMs, so if this were done all people in the club, with an interest in particualr countries could have their own SIM copy. The issue then is managing the use of the SIM to make sure there is no simultaneous use at any time - whether the SIM was in the country or out. Considering if romaing was enabled this could be a significant issue.

I think the rules and issues need to be thought through and then have a system which manages most of it and it could be done.

What would also be useful is if people were going to a specific country if they could inform others so that a SIM card could be purchased for them and top-up cards could be bought also. It may be that just top-up cards were bought for someone who has a SIM from a particular country and just wants to keep it alive. The payment and postage would then be worked out between the 2 parties.