View Single Post
Old
  (#28)
tivoboy (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 31-08-2009, 17:06

Well, the good news is that the card arrived quite quickly. I ordered on a Friday afternoon here, which was indeed Saturday in Ireland. It seems to have shipped on Monday, and it arrived on Friday in CA. So, par for the course for transatlantic shipping. I just ordered with the normal shipping.

The current hickup is, that the card isn't working probably because there is no balance on the card - which was to be included in the purchase price. So, calls to Searoam (they DO seem to have a 24/7 person on the other end of the line, but they may not be able to address issues.) have been made and emails, and I guess I am now in a holding pattern to hear WHEN they are going to put the initial 20$ credit on the card so I can at least TEST it out. I am leaving on a trip in a few days, was hoping to be able to use this card while abroad.

Second hickup seems to be, at least for now (I haven't heard back from Searoam customer service yet) that even though the PRICES are quoted in USD$, and the INVOICES are presented in USD$, and the CONFIRMATION is quoted in USD$, and the PAYMENT is apparently made in USD$, the BILL that comes through is some wonky conversion from EURO to USD$, so there is going to be a premium based on exchange rate and also and FOREIGN CURRENCY CHARGES which your credit card company or paypal may bill you. Bummer, hopefully, the .50$, is indeed done in ONE CURRENCY for call billing and not some conversion.

So, what I thought was going to be 44$ (card plus normal shipping) turned out to be 10% MORE based on the factors listed above.

Somewhat rough start at the moment.