View Single Post
Old
  (#148)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 18-01-2014, 18:21

There are two camps you see on this forum with respect to incoming calling rates. The first group wouldn't care if the roaming SIM provider gave you a country code 8816 prefix (iridium satellite phone) if the calls were free to them. "If you want to call me when I am out of the country, that's your problem."

The second camp, wants to absorb the cost that the caller would pay and is looking for the cheapest way to make the roaming call a local call for their caller. Those folks assume they will be paying something to forward the calls.

Many of us have also had several roaming SIMs go belly up in the past and are sensitive of pricing structures that are "too good to be true." While we are cost aware, we shy away from the operating who offers free incoming calls on cruise ships. They simply won't be around very long. If I am going on a trip and looking for a solution for only that trip, I'd probably gamble, but I am also prepared to spend a little bit more roaming for a little more stability.

I sent a friend on a trip with one of my SIMs and the carrier ceased operations while she was out of the country. Trust me this was the least technical friend I have. Bad idea!