View Single Post
Old
  (#4)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 04-09-2013, 17:37

I would be making use of T-Mobile's (U.S.) UMA wifi calling. I would create a "hotspot" with a data SIM in my Samsung Android tablet.

130Mb for $35 = 27¢/mb Which is Now the approximate roaming cost for data from U.S. carriers.

Using the figure - 1 minute of voice 1Mb of data - that would = 27¢ a minute which is a lot cheaper than the U.S. carriers charge for voice roaming. They charge $1/min in most EU and some other countries $2-$3/min. in places like China.

Eg. You can buy a 3Gb data SIM in China which works on a 3G network for $70. That's only 2¢/Mb. That means you could make calls at 2¢/min.!!
With the T-Mobile service - calls to/from U.S. numbers would not be additional. Calls to other countries would be charged at the usual T-Mobile rate for intl calls from the U.S. - but I would route those few calls via Google Voice - which can be done almost automatically.

Am I missing something?

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.