View Single Post
Old
  (#8)
kevinr (Offline)

Default 25-05-2006, 05:34

Okay, perhaps I am more confused now -- only because I realize there are more options!
Most likely scenario for me at this point:
A. Buy international SIM card (all of them listed in the "International Cards" section had their pros and cons; I'll just have to figure out the main type of usage I will be doing and pick one). This will allow me to activate my phone right away and send out my number prior to even leaving the States. And I'll have english speaking customer service to help me along the way. I can then use the phone while in France at the beginning of my trip.
B. Buy a calling card. If I need to call back to the States I'll find a land line and use the calling card to avoid the expensive rates.

Two questions remain:
1. Would it even be possible, if I ended up going with a German SIM card, to activate the service upon arrival in France? Further research makes me believe I need to be in Germany the first time I turn on my phone with the German SIM card.
2. How does callbackworld.com work? Is this something I can use from a mobile? I gather from their site that I call a US number, they automatically reroute the call when it is answered so that my carrier treats it as an incoming call? Or something.
3. One of the international SIM card providers said shipping would take between 5-15 days. Does that seem typical? If so, I better do this soon!!

Thanks a ton for all the help. I have no idea how people figured this type of stuff out prior to forums like this. Oh, I'll check out Ebay too.

-kevin