View Single Post
Old
  (#51)
ronwi (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default Adding to My Previous Post.... - 13-07-2009, 21:33

Localphone, which has very good rates to UK mobiles in general, has much higher rates to Jersey and Manx mobiles - 12.3 US cents to ordinary UK mobiles, 28 cents to Jersey mobiles, and 24 cents to Manx Telecom. I suppose it might be a trade secret, but I would be interested in knowing whether the incoming calls are a losing proposition such that Easyroam needs to limit the ratio of incoming calls as their website states they do.

The rates I referred to are here: Cheap Calls to the UK From Only 1.2ยข / 0.9p with Localphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwi View Post
OK, I'm wrong about the Jersey part (I believe some of the other international SIM carriers were based there, and it's not like Travelsim exactly highlights there location on their website), but my point was that the number is out of the typical range of UK cell numbers. In fact, given that the Isle of Man is not in the EU or the UK, the carriers there are presumably subject to different regulations (e.g., the roaming rules likely do not apply.) External Relations - Isle of Man Government -

I have used Voipjet for years, and they do indeed bill calls at the rates stated. Because they are wholesalers, their rate charts are more detailed - you will note that they charge different amounts for various different mobile carriers in different countries, based on the different charges paid by the carrier. We know that the charges do differ, and as a primarily wholesale carrier they have made a choice not to offer blended rates. As a result of the rates not being blended, their rates to most UK mobiles, for example, are unusually low. I suppose because I have done business with them for years I am assuming that the high rate for the Isle of Man number is based on some reality based to what they pay, and not whim.

I suppose the thing to do would be to look at the rates of another carrier that does not blend rates, but I haven't found one in my quick search.