Thread: Toggle Mobile
View Single Post
Old
  (#509)
wolfbln (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 21-03-2015, 16:26

These are regular national packages of Lycamobile which give voice and text in the roaming countries for the domestic package rate of Lycamobile. This is obviously only a sponsored limited offer connected to the movie release of the DreamWorks production HOME.

It clearly does not apply for data as said in the Q&A of Lyca UK:
Can I use my data allowance in the 17 countries? If not how will I be charged?
You unfortunately will not be able to use your existing data allowance, instead you will need to buy a relevant data add-on in order to use your mobile data. Otherwise any data usage will be charged from your Pay As You Go balance at a rate of 9p/MB in EU ‘HOME’ destinations or 9p/MB in Australia.

Customers are allowed to use their existing minutes & SMS plan allowance in any of the 17 Lycamobile countries without any additional charge. Any data usage when travelling to any of these 17 countries would require the purchase of a data add-on, otherwise you will be charged from your Pay As You Go balance at a rate of 9p/MB in EU ‘HOME’ destinations or 9p/MB in Australia.
http://www.lycamobile.co.uk/en/roaming-sim-card

This Q&A clearly states that the package data volume is not applicable to roaming destinations. The same Q&A states however, that package volume can be used without surcharge for voice and text in the roaming countries, so it can still be a good deal for voice and text similar to Three UK's offer "Feel like home".

Two questions remain for me:
- what about incoming roaming fees for voice?
- is the roaming rate (= domestic package rate) only applicable for calls/texts to your home country (like Three's "feel at home") or does it apply for domestic calls/texts within the roaming country too and even for all calls/texts within the 17 country zone (like Ortel Germany's "Cross" option)???
The statement of Lycamobile gives a lot of room for interpretation.....

Last edited by wolfbln; 21-03-2015 at 17:22..