View Single Post
Old
  (#1)
djphilosophy (Offline)

Default Truphone rates = false advertising? (hidden 20% tax) - 30-12-2013, 06:52

Just a heads up to anyone else considering Truphone -- at least for use in the US.

I live in the US and setup a SIM with a US number. There US rates are listed as:

$0.15/min all calls outgoing
$0.15/min all calls incoming
$0.10 per SMS sent

Looking at my charges, the ACTUAL rates are:

$0.17/min all calls outgoing
$0.15/min all calls incoming
$0.12 per SMS sent

I spoke with customer service and they said that the reason for the discrepancy is that the Rater Checker rates don't include tax, and that there's a disclaimer at the bottom. The disclaimer says:

"US rates are shown excluding tax. VAT/GST is inclusive for all other countries and is applied when in the home country. Tax also applies for UK customers making calls in the EU. A connection fee applies to all calls made locally in Australia to Australian landlines and mobiles, regardless of the location of receiving party."

So it doesn't actually say that there will be a tax applied in the US, or what that tax is, and yet I'm definitely being charged an extra $0.02 on each outgoing call and SMS. I'm very curious what this tax is because an extra $0.02 cents per SMS is a 20% tax! It certainly can't be sales tax.

Has anyone else noticed this? Anyone know what this mystery tax is?