View Single Post
Old
  (#14)
Evan (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 11-03-2011, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashomer View Post
I have determined that Cosmote is good for 2G/3G coverage in the Ionian, but can I buy one of their data SIMs on the internet and activate at a point of sale in Greece? I will be away from large towns mostly but will pass through Corfu (on Easter Monday) and Preveza (on Sunday 1st May); otherwise can get to Lefkas/Nidhri. Grateful for any advice.
Yes you can buy and activate it on the point of sale however it is recommended to check their availability, given that those are small cities and possibly the Cosmote or Germanos stores don't have all the available products. However, since you already have an unlocked USB modem, most of the stores will have the 20€ SIM Pack (as opposed to the 50€ Full Pack).

Sundays, Easter Monday, 1st May are public holidays in Greece, so I'm afraid you won't find any open Cosmote or Germanos store. Try to go on Saturday or Easter Tuesday. Cosmote has 11 points of sale in Corfu, 7 in Preveza and 3 in Lefkada. Have a look on the Cosmote data overview here.

And since you want a data SIM and not a normal prepaid SIM, do not buy a SIM starter pack from a kiosk or a mini-market. Those places only have normal prepaid SIM starter packs.