Old
  (#16)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 05-01-2009, 18:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATHA531 View Post
This leaves ...

1. Why? Didn't they realize this might be the end of their business....it is now just as cheap to use one of the eu payg with eu tariffs, especially for short calls......(incidentally Andy might know this....the UK£ is nearing parity with the euro..have they increased the eurotariff charges listed in sterling to coincide with the drop of the £?). What unseen forces have caused this?
No, when the recent Eurotariff decreased, UK networks made no reduction, probably as they were already still slightly cheaper. But since the exchange has fallen some more, they haven't increased either.

Thus 3 UK's roaming rates of 25p outgoing 10p incoming are now about half the Eurotariff, and the rest are 35p (O2) to 39p outgoing, ~18p incoming. O2 has an add-on to make outgoing 25p incoming free for £10 a month (but added free to my contract)

I think Belgium must be slightly more expensive for roaming for some reason. I noticed a while back that those German Vistream SIMs with cheap roaming are 15c incoming there and 10c in many other European countries.

For outgoing calls, the connection fee doesn't make a difference of course, but it will be difficult to look at all the incoming connection fees adding up.

The Isle of Man SIMs, whether on Manx e.g. Easyroam ekit Geosim and GT, plus those half dozen on Wire9 that were listed recently, still have free incoming roaming. Let's hope they see this as a competitive advantage and don't have to move in this direction in the near future.

Last edited by andy; 05-01-2009 at 20:22..