Thread: Toggle Mobile
View Single Post
Old
  (#532)
peterdoo (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 16-03-2016, 22:30

I would say that also with Toggle, a local identity (if present or loaded on the SIM) is used in all 19 Lyca countries. However they do not give you Toggle-Country pricing in all countries, but only in some of them where also a local phone number is available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
No. While Lycamobile obviously uses the technology developed for and proven by the toggle project to evade roaming costs across their markets, Lycamobile has different tariffs which cannot compete with toggle's traveller-friendly pricing.
As far as I understand, Lycamobile offers some of the home country conditions in all 19 mentioned countries (http://www.lycamobile.co.uk/en/roaming-sim-card):
- Free incoming calls in all 19 countries. I have verified this in some EU countries.
- Outgoing calls at rates that are used in home country in the case when no call bundle is booked. I have verified this in some EU countries.
- Bundles for calls/SMS that can be booked for use in roaming in all 18 countries (EU Plus, UK Plan). Also usable in home country.
- Bundles for data that can be booked for use in some roaming countries (HOME DATA). Some of them also usable in home country.

For some users this offer might be better than Toggle offer especially when no local number is required. For roaming outside of the 19 Lyca countries Toggle has some better tariffs. As always with Lyca do not expect the things to work always. It appears to me that they do not order the necessary configuration (APN,...) from the network operators until the first user tries to use it and complains. At least it happens to me in many countries that for example the APN of other Lyca country is not permited for local IMSI and sometimes the problem is not resolved during the time I am present in a country.

As far as the EU is concerned, it looks like we will be getting some really attractive roaming offers on the postpaid plans. Whoever will have access to those will probably not require prepaid cards for EU-roaming anymore.

In Germany the Telekom included EU-Roaming without surcharge in its higher priced Magenta tariffs. Vodafone Spain removed roaming charges for EU/EEA, Switzerland, USA, Turkey and Albania in all its postpaid tariffs (http://www.vodafone.es/conocenos/es/...e-precios-con/). So one can get 1,5GB data usable in all mentioned countries for 14 Euro monthly:

Last edited by andy; 17-03-2016 at 12:49.. Reason: fix link