View Single Post
Old
  (#7)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 12-06-2008, 10:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
No. Blackberry requires special ports open back to Blackberry. For corporate users, you will then have a Blackberry server linked to RIMs server in Canada via a encrypted connection. This is called a BES or Blackberry Enterprise Server connection.

For most individual, you will have a Blackberry Individual Server connection which is basically a personal account on RIM's server programmed to pull your e-mail. You could also have a Blackberry Desktop program running on your machine back home which pushes the e-mail out to you.

Technically a straight data connection cannot handle Blackberry. When Etisilat first offered data service plans, you could connect to Blackberry on a non-Blackberry plan because they left some settings wide open. Maybe Wind is doing the same thing. I don't know.

The reason I plugged this not great Blackberry deal was because most data packages don't handle Blackberry. I don't have a Blackberry (I have Symbian and Windows Mobile devices) so I don't have personal knowledge on this.
All cards that i have here have no port restrictions at all.
Neiter wind nor our german cards.
In other countries it seems to be more common that they cripple the internet access by proxys or firewalls. But on Wind definetely not. They even assign public IP adresses that you can connect from outside.

Chris

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9