View Single Post
Old
  (#5)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 05-02-2013, 01:31

I'll add, belatedly, a reason for 2 SIMS as well as 2 phones.

Was in Vietnam a year ago and my T-Mobile (U.S.) Blackberry stopped working. Called CS and they said my SIM is dead because there was a limit of 100,000 "logins" to the system. I assume every time you disconnect and reconnect via going thru a tnnel or in a garage counted. Also counted jumping from GPRS, to EDGE, to 3G. I was told there was nothing they could do to reactivate my SIM. She said new SIMS don't have that limit. I was stuck using my wife's new Android - which also had T-Mobiles WiFi calling ability.
I now have a new SIM and got an extra virgin SIM (never activated). I also have at least 2 small unlocked dumb phones that I can put a card into. One of them has a Truphone SIM that I haven't used in a while, but still works.
Our next trip will be to China in April. I will get a Piranha SIM since they seem to have not only, by far the best voice rates, but good data rates as well.

Bottom line: 2 SIMS for my Blackberry. 2 dumbphones (Trufone, Piranha) Wife: An HTC Smartfone (Android).

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20ยข/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.