View Single Post
Old
  (#25)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 19-10-2011, 20:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Is this the best option for prepaid data? Looks like the 8.99 Euro Handy Internet Flatrate which throttles after 500 MB?
Blau.de and simyo.de sell 1GB valid for a month for € 9.90, but they are both on the eplus network, which is generally throttled to 1 MBit/s and suffers from regular congestions resulting in modem-like througput. A network review by German computer magazine chip.de from September 2011 confirmed once more, that eplus has the worst network when it comes to data:

© CHIP Xonio Online GmbH 2011

If you want a more reliable network with better 3G coverange and much higher average throughput (usually 2-3 MBit/s download), Lidl (based on the O2 network) is the cheapest alternative. Since O2 is based in Munich local coverage is exceptionally well with most downtown basestations already supporting HSPA+ (with up to 28.8 MBit/s).

Quote:
Or maybe the 24h-Flatrate if you anticipate heavy use (not just on mobile phones but in place of hotel Wifi, for instance)?
500MB are not much for a week if you tether your laptop. For my purposes I usually reckon with 200MB/day when I use my laptop. Notice that once you have subscribed to one of Lidl's monthly flatrates you cannot switch to any other data tariff during the 30-day billing period. So if you consume those 500MB you will be trapped with throttled bandwidth (64 KBit/s) for the rest of your stay.

Quote:
Are Lidl stores common in Munich?
There are about 40: Lidl near Munich, Germany - Google Maps

Quote:
Do they just sell the SIMs or will they activate it for you at the stores?
They just sell the SIM on the checkout counter and acutally don't have the slightest idea what it's for. You can only activate your SIM online, by phone or by sending the included registration form by fax or snail mail.

Quote:
Can they activate the special data tariff plans too
No, you can only do that online, by phone or by SMS.

As I've done to half a dozen other PPGSM users before, I would also offer you to send you a Lidl SIM at cost (€ 9.95 for the SIM + € 2.80 for insured shipping + € 1 PayPal fees = € 13.75).
Your advantage would be that I could tell you your Lidl phone number and the activation code already tomorrow. Then you could not only give people your German number before leaving, but you could activate your SIM immediately and you will perhaps receive your bonus credit from the customer referal program (€ 5) before arrival in Germany (it may take up to three weeks for the bonus to be accredited) and you could also activate your desired data option before leaving the US (activation or change of data options may take up to 24 hours).
However despite Deutsche Post's promise to deliver letters to North America in less than five days, it recently took almost three weeks for two letters sent to Canada to arrive. So we should have enough slack time for delivery. Alternatively I could send the SIM to the German address you'll be staying at in advance, which would be € 0.20 cheaper for shipping.
Attached Images

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Last edited by inquisitor; 19-10-2011 at 20:27..