PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/index.php)
-   International GSM prepaid cards (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   2017 Piranha Mobile Sim Card 2017 thread (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9964)

Bossman 25-02-2018 13:21

Agreed. It's not due to the app update. I tried it on the SIP client on my phone and it does not work either.

The Piranha Representative reads this thread, so hopefully they respond accordingly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bourbonkiller (Post 49754)
Not sure if it‘s really a matter of the App Update. I use Bria and have tried with other voip apps and can not connect any more since mid january...

:o

Bossman 25-02-2018 20:16

I opened a support ticket with Piranha. Here is their response

"We are having issues with the operator concerning VoIP we will let you know when they have resolved the issue."

Bourbonkiller mentioned he first observed this in Mid January. So this has been an issue for at least a month.

bourbonkiller 26-02-2018 15:19

To me it seems like this feature (VoIP) is gone. Simcard works fine for the moment. I always thought that VoIP is a integral feature of the Simcard itself and all forwarding and callback works via VoIP.

Has anyone checked if the callback of the Simcard works? In my area there is direct dial...

BK

Bossman 26-02-2018 18:02

Agreed. I believe the voip feature is gone for good. No, have not tried if the callback still works. It's direct dial from here as well.

Bossman 27-02-2018 02:08

Tested my SIM. It registers on AT&T, and that's it! Calling it goes straight to VM. Calling out from it, I get an automated voice message that calls are not allowed. I sent txt to both US/UK numbers, but none came through.

rfranzq 27-02-2018 06:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bossman (Post 49765)
Tested my SIM. It registers on AT&T, and that's it! Calling it goes straight to VM. Calling out from it, I get an automated voice message that calls are not allowed. I sent txt to both US/UK numbers, but none came through.

You sound like the problem I had earlier this month.

ME:
Quote:

Phone will not send or receive SMS or phone calls.
Network--== AT&T
Profile #2
I know that currently T-Mobile is not working for you.
Piranha:
Quote:

can you manually select the network required and retest, you have one of the older sims, if this does not help we will send you a new sim
ME:
Quote:

Not using a smartphone. Choosing AT&T automatically or manually was never an issue.
Rebooted the phone and it worked so thank you.
I assume you did something on your end.
Piranha:
Quote:

no problem, we reboot from this end
Perhaps you can ask them to do something similar?

Bossman 27-02-2018 11:11

Okay. I will reach out to them. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfranzq (Post 49768)
You sound like the problem I had earlier this month.

Perhaps you can ask them to do something similar?

Bossman 27-02-2018 15:02

Update: About a couple of hours after opening a support ticket, it started working. Piranha did not really get back to me. I am guessing they did something on their end though.

rfranzq 28-02-2018 01:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bossman (Post 49773)
Update: About a couple of hours after opening a support ticket, it started working. Piranha did not really get back to me. I am guessing they did something on their end though.

My SIM is from 3/12/2012 [best I can tell].
What is the vintage of your SIM?

Bossman 28-02-2018 01:35

They sent me this updated SIM sometime last year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfranzq (Post 49776)
My SIM is from 3/12/2012 [best I can tell].
What is the vintage of your SIM?

GadgetKen 18-05-2018 21:33

My Piranha Mobile sim card on my dual sim BlackView BV8000 Pro went out of service a couple of days ago. It's the KR/Telna Mobile based sim card.

When I went to the Piranha Mobile website, they are now urging people to get a new sim card free of charge. Explanation on their website is rather long but basically that after Telna sold out to Know Roaming in late 2017, the quality of service went way down and roaming rates to resellers went drastically up. Supposedly if you file a trouble ticket asking for a new sim card they will provide one and transfer the existing balance. Good question is will the old phone number carry over? And will rates still be competitive since no rate chart can be found on the general (non-login) website any more.

I put in a trouble ticket asking for a new sim card and will see what happens. Actually will have to also put in a second ticket for a second sim I got for an emergency phone for my father.

Will give them a week or two to provide replacements from the UK to the US.

The Piranha sim is used primarily for foreign travel and next likely travel would be last week of June.

My primary sim is a US only H2O prepaid sim that works on AT&T.

I'm hoping the new Piranha sim card (if and when it comes) will have T-Mobile US roaming capability (the old sim card used to roam on both AT&T and T-Mobile and then worked only on AT&T).

ghostrider 18-05-2018 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetKen (Post 50175)
My Piranha Mobile sim card on my dual sim BlackView BV8000 Pro went out of service a couple of days ago. It's the KR/Telna Mobile based sim card.

When I went to the Piranha Mobile website, they are now urging people to get a new sim card free of charge. Explanation on their website is rather long but basically that after Telna sold out to Know Roaming in late 2017, the quality of service went way down and roaming rates to resellers went drastically up. Supposedly if you file a trouble ticket asking for a new sim card they will provide one and transfer the existing balance. Good question is will the old phone number carry over? And will rates still be competitive since no rate chart can be found on the general (non-login) website any more.

I put in a trouble ticket asking for a new sim card and will see what happens. Actually will have to also put in a second ticket for a second sim I got for an emergency phone for my father.

Will give them a week or two to provide replacements from the UK to the US.

The Piranha sim is used primarily for foreign travel and next likely travel would be last week of June.

My primary sim is a US only H2O prepaid sim that works on AT&T.

I'm hoping the new Piranha sim card (if and when it comes) will have T-Mobile US roaming capability (the old sim card used to roam on both AT&T and T-Mobile and then worked only on AT&T).

Good luck. I loved this card or the idea behind at least but then I ended up hating it. Like you in fact I kept it into a dual sim phone and it seemed to work well. Then all of a sudden the card was registered on the network only apparently (not really registering) or not finding the net itself. I sent the sim to Uk for a check but to no avail. The problems worsened until they began to day that it was my dual sim phone and replying on this forum in a harsh way to my comments. It was a lost occasion, I loved the idea to have two numbers (US and UK), plus voip and so on but reliability is of utmost importance if you go abroad so...

GadgetKen 18-05-2018 23:07

Agree with you it's nice having a roaming sim for the second slot of a dual sim phone. I filed a second trouble ticket for the second Piranha chip I got for my father's emergency phone.

I'm cutting and pasting the (rather long) explanation on the Piranha website:

"Important Announcement For Account Number xxx
PIRANHA TELECOMS ANNOUNCES NEW SIM CARDS
Piranha Mobile would like to announce a new SIM Card. If you have an old Piranha Card that has stopped working? Simply use the Support Ticket and select “Please provide me one of your new replacement SIM cards” along with your existing SIM details and Customer Account Number found above. Please make sure your account current address is up to date for delivery of your new SIM. We shall transfer your existing balance across to the new SIM.
Background to the change

Since Know Roaming (KR) took over the operations of the carrier Telna, we have become increasingly aware of a reduction in the quality of the service being provided, causing us major concerns about the commercial viability of operations long-term and causing us to deeply regret the sale of Telna by the original founders.
Over the past year, we have repeatedly raised tickets which have not been answered and some of the support tickets that we have raised remain unanswered even after 18 months!
In addition to the problems over technical support tickets, we and other providers using the KR/Telna platform have identified the severe lack of technical knowledge in the KR/Telna staff we have contacted.
We have also complained that KR customers are able to purchase call rates at below wholesale pricing, forcing us into providing a subsidy to our customers and causing us unsustainable losses in the long term.
KR/Telna announced a new platform around July 2017 but refused to provide us with details of the platform and under our data-protection (GDPR) obligations, we were unable to transfer to the new platform as we could not verify the security of your data.
Users may be aware that certain roaming agreements were not maintained by Telna’s new owners, causing changes in connectivity and rates, and loss of certain countries.
We have the write to advise you that KR/Telna have, by force majeure, removed the rate bands from the KR/Telna databases and increased the termination rates by up to 800%, effectively crashing the connectivity systems of KR/Telna resellers. These amount to a force majeure event within your contract, for which Piranha Telecoms has no liability. Any liability arises solely with KR/Telna under their licence conditions.
In light of the above, some weeks ago Piranha Telecoms commenced contingency planning for just such an event, whether a wholesale removal of resellers or KR/Telna ceasing trading. It turns out that this was time well spent.
Piranha Telecoms is now able to offer replacement SIM Cards of a higher quality, just follow the instructions and we will post out new SIM. One immediate advantage is that we can ditch call-back and give you direct dial and superior connectivity.
Although Piranha Telecoms has no liability due to force majeure, we will still guarantee your balance. This means that any Piranha Telecoms consumer customer who moves over to Piranha Telecoms new platform will have a new card sent out, the new card will show the same balance that your old card showed at the point that KR/Telna cut off its resellers. When you receive your new card and if you want to retain your US number you will need to contact KR/Telna directly for porting information."

Interesting that they are going to a direct dial rather than callback sim card(direct dial is much easier to use). And also that they aren't proactively emailing all Piranha sim card customers that have an older style sim card informing them of this change. While I can understand that this would be a force majeure event, they should notify people by alternate means like the email address on file if they know most if not all Telna based cards are down right now.

rfranzq 18-05-2018 23:49

I requested a new SIM yesterday also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetKen (Post 50177)
""When you receive your new card and if you want to retain your US number you will need to contact KR/Telna directly for porting information.""

Sounds like keeping a number is more trouble than it is worth.
Hope you did not like your number.
I requested a new SIM yesterday also.

GadgetKen 19-05-2018 00:00

One number was New Jersey (mine) and the other was Missouri(my fathers). I live in Connecticut but wasn't a big deal on a non-local incoming number since 99% of calls were outgoing. Given the fine print on having to port numbers from Telna if you want to keep them, I'll just take whatever number they give me.

Let's see how long it takes for Piranha to ship replacements and what their new rates are....

bourbonkiller 23-05-2018 14:29

I've requested a new simcard yesterday. Has anyone heard back from them after the request?

I am quite curious to know about the new platform they are changing to with direct dial. Any rumors or thoughts about that?

BK

PS: I've played around and tested a koko-mobile simcard for the last weeks. That is also a very pleasing service with data-packages worldwide...

Bossman 23-05-2018 16:47

I requested a new SIM on Saturday. No, there is no response from them yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bourbonkiller (Post 50183)
I've requested a new simcard yesterday. Has anyone heard back from them after the request?

GadgetKen 25-05-2018 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by bourbonkiller (Post 50183)

I am quite curious to know about the new platform they are changing to with direct dial. Any rumors or thoughts about that?

BK

PS: I've played around and tested a koko-mobile simcard for the last weeks. That is also a very pleasing service with data-packages worldwide...

I'm getting suspicious about Piranha. It has been a week since I ordered and there was no response other than an auto-response email they received my request. Nor is there any sim order pending on their website. Also they do not allow new customers to buy a sim card (error on click through). And no rates are posted for the new card. Plus a trouble ticket I posted 2 weeks earlier was never responded to (I managed to get the sim working again by toggling the roaming profile back and forth, but that only worked a few days until it went totally dead).

I have an upcoming trip to Bermuda in June, so I think I may order the KoKo Mobile card that you suggested. Rates are good in the US (I'm hoping it will work on T-Mobile as an alternate to my local H2O sim card that works on AT&T), plus the rates are reasonable in Canada and Bermuda(I'm coming back to the US via Toronto). Plus the CHF to USD exchange rate is reasonable so refills should not be a problem. Since KoKo is working for you, it's obviously not using Telna as the back-end. Have other options including VOIP, mifi data devices, and a satphone, but I want like a low-tech callback sim in the second sim slot of my phone for reliable voice and text messaging.

On the possibility of Piranha using direct dial, that would be a plus rather than having a callback and sometimes having to use a USSD dialing string. But there's the question of coverage and rates when they move to the new platform. But since no one is hearing anything from Piranha right now, I think I'll order the KoKo sim....

Bossman 26-05-2018 00:25

Same here...just the auto response. At least they are offering new sim cards. so it seems like they have something going. However, I will not be surprised one bit, if they do not come back from this. Once that VOIP feature stopped working, and the indication from them was that, that's the end of that feature, I started thinking the same myself. It's no news that the elimination of roaming within the EU affected them (and all other similar offerings) to a large extent. Most major US carriers are offering some kind of roaming package. Probably the same in other countries. So, the need for these international sim cards is just NOT there any longer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetKen (Post 50185)
I'm getting suspicious about Piranha. It has been a week since I ordered and there was no response other than an auto-response email they received my request.

GadgetKen 26-05-2018 00:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bossman (Post 50186)
Same here...just the auto response. At least they are offering new sim cards. so it seems like they have something going. However, I will not be surprised one bit, if they do not come back from this. Once that VOIP feature stopped working, and the indication from them was that, that's the end of that feature, I started thinking the same myself. It's no news that the elimination of roaming within the EU affected them (and all other similar offerings) to a large extent. Most major US carriers are offering some kind of roaming package. Probably the same in other countries. So, the need for these international sim cards is just NOT there any longer.

Yeah, wouldn't be surprised if Piranha just vanishes on us...of course they are most welcome to comment on this forum to dispute that and elaborate on what is going on with Piranha. Fortunately had only a minimal balance on each of the two sim cards we have (10 pounds on mine and 15 pounds on my fathers), so if they disappear it's not a big loss.

International sim cards still have some value to some people like myself who need coverage when traveling. For day to day light domestic talk/text usage I use prepaid AT&T H2O at a nickel a minute or text message. Data is via one of 3 mifi devices. Postpaid is used for one of the 3 mifi devices that has a $20/month AT&T unlimited data plan on it. Thought of going to something like Mint Sim but T-Mobile doesn't have coverage everywhere I need it and pay as you go suits me better than a monthly prepaid or postpaid plan (but Mint Sim does have some decent international/domestic rates and they have some $5 starter kits now...I seriously considered that as a Piranha replacement). But yes, I'm seeing a recurring theme here on international sim cards that go into existence and then vanish a few months or years later (I'm developing a collection of them).

rfranzq 26-05-2018 00:58

When did the VOIP disappear??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bossman (Post 50186)
Once that VOIP feature stopped working, and the indication from them was that, that's the end of that feature, I started thinking the same myself.

Bossman 26-05-2018 01:09

It last worked for me about 4 months ago or so. The funny thing is, Piranha was aware of this but they never warned or informed their customers about it. Only when you contact them, will you find out what the deal is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfranzq (Post 50188)

Bossman 26-05-2018 11:45

The piranha rep. must have seen our postings here. Anyway, my ticket got a response
----------------------------------
Dear Customer, all new cards will be dispatched by 30th June 2018, all balances will remain the same, new numbers will be issued. Please make sure your deliver address records are up to date in your online account. You will be notified once SIM has been dispatched.

GadgetKen 28-05-2018 07:10

Got the same ticket response. I fly to Bermuda on June 24th and Piranha is promising replacement sim cards to be mailed by June 30th.

So I ordered the Koko Mobile sim card from Switzerland. The FAQ on their website says they mail out orders the same day received weekdays before 10 AM CET.

GadgetKen 28-05-2018 16:15

And my Koko Mobile sim card order has been marked as completed/shipped.

Once I get the Koko card and try it out, maybe I'll start a thread on it.

bones_boy 04-06-2018 05:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetKen (Post 50187)
But yes, I'm seeing a recurring theme here on international sim cards that go into existence and then vanish a few months or years later (I'm developing a collection of them).

Hop Mobile, Globe, Celtrek, GT-Sim, O9 Mobile, Riiing!, United Mobile

Yeah it’s recurring.

Only ones I use that have stuck around are Truphone and Mobal.

GadgetKen 07-06-2018 15:37

Koko mobile card came in the mail today. No sign of new Piranha card. Will take old Piranha card out tonight, put in Koko and activate it and add some CHF.

GadgetKen 07-06-2018 19:50

I took a few minutes and put the Koko Mobile card in the second sim slot of my phone instead of the Piranaha sim.

Activation online initially showed an activation error, but the fault apparently fixed itself (got welcome to USA message on the phone a few minutes later, so it obviously was working). Added CHF20 to my account online and made a successful test call on AT&T in 4G mode on my phone. Call quality was very good and it went through as a direct dial call. Background carrier for sim card in USA is apparently JT (Jersey Telecom) in the UK Channel Islands (it comes with one UK number you can choose from a list)...not sure if that changes if one of the other roaming profiles for the sim card is used. Didn't set up data yet for the sim chip yet, and probably will normally keep that off since my mifi devices have cheaper rates. Will also have to set up voicemail, decide if I want a second phone number and add additional credit for my upcoming trip.

Bottom line is I now have a functional international roaming sim in the second slot of my phone (the first slot is a USA only prepaid sim).

Glad I didn't wait for Piranha to ship a new sim card. When and if Piranha ships new cards, I'll keep my replacement card as a spare, and put the other sim card in my father's spare phone he keeps as a backup.

Bossman 07-06-2018 19:56

Good to see this option is working out for you. Thanks for the update.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetKen (Post 50225)
Bottom line is I now have a functional international roaming sim in the second slot of my phone (the first slot is a USA only prepaid sim).

Glad I didn't wait for Piranha to ship a new sim card. When and if Piranha ships new cards, I'll keep my replacement card as a spare, and put the other sim card in my father's spare phone he keeps as a backup.

kctopitz 22-06-2018 09:58

One week left...

We're now about a week away from the stated June 30th deadline for the new Piranha SIMs to be shipped. Has anyone heard anything? (Nothing here.)

Bossman 22-06-2018 11:30

Honestly, until you have the new sim in your hands, I'd suggest that you not believe anything. And if the sim does show up, being a new product, it will likely have its own hiccups in the beginning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kctopitz (Post 50249)
We're now about a week away from the stated June 30th deadline for the new Piranha SIMs to be shipped. Has anyone heard anything? (Nothing here.)

GadgetKen 23-06-2018 07:23

I leave for Bermuda tomorrow and will use KoKo Mobile as my primary prepaid roaming sim card for voice and text since the replacement Piranha cards have not shown. Data will be via a SkyRoam mifi device. Also have a lot of prepaid airtime on an Inmarsat isatphone, so will try to use some of that up. Plus there's always VOIP...

svenn 23-06-2018 08:04

Koko also looks interesting

kctopitz 23-06-2018 10:18

So Koko appears to be a Naka SIM (bottom of their website lists NAKA AG). There's a whole section on them at the prepaid data wiki, though it's not listed there. The most interesting within that family though is DrimSim, which has €0.01/MB data rates for Europe, the US, Australia and NZ, and lower rates than Koko for other countries I looked at. It's €10 for the SIM card delivered (no credit) vs. 20 Swiss Francs (€17.34 today) for the Koko SIM (no credit). Some of the screenshots of the DrimSim app show a top-up option of €10 which is nice.

One thing that's not clear is the phone numbers included with each. I think it's a UK Isle of Mann # for the DrimSim. GadgetKen, maybe you can answer what number came with your Koko SIM?

bourbonkiller 23-06-2018 12:40

I have started a new thread for Koko mobile with a quick review / overview of the services. Maybe we should head over to that thread to discuss Koko and leave space here for Piranha Mobile...

bourbonkiller 23-06-2018 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by kctopitz (Post 50254)
So Koko appears to be a Naka SIM (bottom of their website lists NAKA AG). There's a whole section on them at the prepaid data wiki, though it's not listed there. The most interesting within that family though is DrimSim, which has €0.01/MB data rates for Europe, the US, Australia and NZ, and lower rates than Koko for other countries I looked at. It's €10 for the SIM card delivered (no credit) vs. 20 Swiss Francs (€17.34 today) for the Koko SIM (no credit). Some of the screenshots of the DrimSim app show a top-up option of €10 which is nice.

One thing that's not clear is the phone numbers included with each. I think it's a UK Isle of Mann # for the DrimSim. GadgetKen, maybe you can answer what number came with your Koko SIM?

My phone number comes in the format +44 7937 XXXXX which should be Jersey Telekom. So it's Jersey not IoM. At the end, it will not differ much, as the numbers are higher priced then common UK mobile numbers. My VoIP provider local phone charges 13.9 Euro cent to call this number.

See my initial post in the new Koko Mobile thread, most of the NAKA brands offer several other mobile numbers from different countries. The German number issued to me comes in the format +49 1577 xxxx.

kctopitz 01-07-2018 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bossman (Post 50251)
Honestly, until you have the new sim in your hands, I'd suggest that you not believe anything. And if the sim does show up, being a new product, it will likely have its own hiccups in the beginning.

Too true. We've now passed the June 30th "ship by" date and I've received no word of a new SIM being shipped, or any sign of life from Piranha for that matter. I'm guessing no one else has either.

davidtheprof 02-07-2018 17:25

yep, Piranha's VOIP "softphone" stopped working, and now the SIM won't register on US or Israeli networks. I'm going to be in the UK, and might use Truphone as backup. Any other recommendations for virtual numbers for UK or Israel, or softphone like Skype?

kctopitz 02-07-2018 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidtheprof (Post 50278)
yep, Piranha's VOIP "softphone" stopped working, and now the SIM won't register on US or Israeli networks. I'm going to be in the UK, and might use Truphone as backup. Any other recommendations for virtual numbers for UK or Israel, or softphone like Skype?

Toggle Mobile comes with a UK number and allows you to have virtual numbers for the US, Australia, and 10 European countries. They're free for a month, or you can pay an annual fee to keep each number.

That said, if you're ok with softphones and a virtual # tied to an app, I would imagine there are free or at least cheaper options.

Bossman 04-08-2018 02:39

Though no communication from Piranha, I noticed they have updated their call calculator with the new rates, and there someone info about the new SIM card on the website and faq.On logging in, one can choose between US/Canada/UK(what type???) number during SIM activation. Also there is now a monthly charge of $0.50 for a US/Canada number. I suspect it may be one of those expensive UK numbers.