PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/index.php)
-   Greece and Cyprus (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Greece HSPA (prepaid and postpaid offers) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2835)

Evan 07-04-2010 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Nige (Post 31810)
The only downside is that without an AFM you can't log-in to check your bill etc, so this year I plan to get one.

I had to get an AFM back when I worked in Greece for 3 years and I still got it since I have some assets there. However, I never thought of subscribing on any binding contract since I left Greece, given the hassle of making/breaking a contract.

If you plan to get an AFM for the sole purpose of signing up on a mobile contract and checking your bill online, I would advice against it, considering the complex and bureaucratic nature of the Greek tax system/office, and given the fact that the situation in prepaid mobile data has changed a lot since last year.

For example, WIND currently offers 100MB/month absolutely free (1.5GB/mo for subscribers before 23 March) and Q-mobile offers 100MB for 1€ (and up to 400MB/month for 4€). And if you want to stay on Vodafone network, the "Vodafone On Demand" plan, offers up to 1GB/day for 1.9€/day.

Big_Nige 07-04-2010 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan (Post 31815)
Q-mobile offers 100MB for 1€ (and up to 400MB/month for 4€). And if you want to stay on Vodafone network, the "Vodafone On Demand" plan, offers up to 1GB/day for 1.9€/day.

These look interesting, but I have been unable to find these packages at these rates. Do you have links?

Evan 07-04-2010 10:35

All the available links and info are on my review post #76 on the previous page.

Big_Nige 11-04-2010 12:16

Thanks Evan, but I don't speak Greek. I've also been unable to contact Wind and Q - are they now the same company?

Big_Nige 11-04-2010 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan (Post 31607)
Info (only in Greek) here: 1500 ??? 1500

Hey! If you change the langID at the end to =2 you get English!

Evan 20-04-2010 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Nige (Post 31883)
Thanks Evan, but I don't speak Greek. I've also been unable to contact Wind and Q - are they now the same company?

Yes, Q was merged into Wind a while ago but still keeps its own brand and services (i.e. different SIM cards, service numbers, tariff plans etc).

What do you mean by being "unable to contact Wind and Q"? I never had a Q SIM card but regarding Wind, I could always contact their customer service at 1260 and talk with an English speaking representative. Actually I remember that when you dial 1260, the very first recorded message you hear was something like "for English press 2".

Customer care phone numbers for Wind here: WIND HELLAS

And for Q here: 24 hours at your service

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Nige (Post 31885)
Hey! If you change the langID at the end to =2 you get English!

Nice find! But I think that their English site is obsolete (their last announcement in English is of 2007). Nevertheless, I suppose that it's quite straightforward to get and use a Q-card. Just purchase and register one from any Wind store, and then send an SMS to 12200 with the text "1500", to activate the plan of 1500 calls/SMS (to Wind/Q numbers) and 100MB data. The plan costs 1€ and you can activate it again when your 100MB are over (max 4 activations per month).

More info here (with the help of Google translation):
Google Translate

edit: Oh, and I just noticed on Q site, that you can send a blank free SMS to 12260 to take advantage of their low national and international call charges. And they charge per second (and not per minute) which is even better. For example, calls to USA cost 0.10€/min, to Germany, Italy, Greece and most Easter European countries 0.21€/min and SMS to international destinations 0.04€.

More info here: Google Translate

and here: Google Translate

Big_Nige 20-04-2010 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan (Post 32030)
Nevertheless, I suppose that it's quite straightforward to get and use a Q-card. Just purchase and register one from any Wind store, and then send an SMS to 12200 with the text "1500", to activate the plan of 1500 calls/SMS (to Wind/Q numbers) and 100MB data. The plan costs 1€ and you can activate it again when your 100MB are over (max 4 activations per month).

More info here (with the help of Google translation):
Google Translate

Hi Evan,

So let me get this straight. I get a Q-Card, and put say €10 on it. Then I can send an SMS as above up to 4 times a month, and will get a total of 1GB for my €10?

What's the catch? The only downside is having to send the SMS, will have to put the SIM into a phone.

Later: having trouble finding a Q-Card store locator, any tips?

Evan 20-04-2010 10:12

Yes, you can get a total of 1GB for your €10 (or to be precise, a maximum 400MB/per month for 4€).

I don't think there is a catch. It's just that the Greek market starts getting competitive on mobile data offers. Wind already offers 1.5 of absolutely free data per month (now reduced to 100MB/month) but you have to register on that offer until 30 April (you can read my posts here).

So, if you visit Greece before 30 April, and you get a Wind prepaid card, the offer of Wind is even better than the one of Q, since it's absolutely free. ;)

If you visit Greece after 30 April, the offer of Q is the cheapest at the moment.

The only "catch" I could find, is that neither Wind nor Q notify you about the remaining data volume with SMS (while they do so for the remaining call minutes). So it's highly recommended to use the data counter of your mobile phone or USB stick to check the consumed MB.

Evan 20-04-2010 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Nige (Post 32032)

Later: having trouble finding a Q-Card store locator, any tips?

You can find it here on Q-site (in English):

Sales points map

But since their English page is obsolete, just look at the site of Wind here:

WIND HELLAS

Big_Nige 20-04-2010 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan (Post 32035)
The only "catch" I could find, is that neither Wind nor Q notify you about the remaining data volume with SMS (while they do so for the remaining call minutes). So it's highly recommended to use the data counter of your mobile phone or USB stick to check the consumed MB.

Thanks Evan,

I don't have a data counter on my device, can the data balance be checked online?

But what would happen if you used up the first 100MB anyway?

Evan 20-04-2010 11:38

Based on reports I read, there's no other way to check your data balance. If you exceed the 100MB, I suppose that you will be charged their normal data rate, until your credit goes down to 0€.

I don't know how much Q charges per MB after the 100MB and I can't find that info on their web page so I guess you can ask their CC. Wind and the rest Greek Telcos, charge from 0.5 to 6.5€ (!!) per MB, so I guess that Q charges something in between.

Evan 30-04-2010 08:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan (Post 31607)
4. Limited data offer: Internet (no proxy), 0€/month, 1.5GB volume included

For those who will visit Greece before 4 April 2010, or those who already have a Wind prepaid card, there is an offer of 1.5GB/month without any requirement. Just send a a blank SMS to 1245.

More info and discussion here.

An update for those who have already subscribed to that offer. It is now possible to check your remaining free volume (before it was only possible to check the remaining free minutes/texts). Just send an SMS with the text YP to 1245.

DaveRo 01-05-2010 08:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan (Post 32211)
An update for those who have already subscribed to that offer. It is now possible to check your remaining free volume (before it was only possible to check the remaining free minutes/texts). Just send an SMS with the text YP to 1245.

I subscribed to this on 11/04 so I'm getting 100MB not 1.5GB. I just did a check and got:

ΕΧΕΙΣ ... 99,93 MB ΠΟΥ ΙΣΧΥΟΥΝ ΕΩΣ 31/05/2010

so it seems that it's based on the calendar month not the start date. (I used 0.07MB this morning.)

The YP text to 1245 is free BTW.

Evan 01-05-2010 08:40

I subscribed on 15/3 (with the 1.5GB free offer) and I just did a check as well and got:

"...1536,00MB ΠΟΥ ΙΣΧΥΟΥΝ ΕΩΣ 31/05/2010"

(which I can't use until August when I'll be in Greece :D)

Yes it's based per calendar month according to their initial announcement.

kalico 19-05-2010 00:59

Newbie question

Please forgive me jumping in, but I'd just like a simple steer.

I've got a Cosmote CosmoKarte with is pre-paid PAYG. Had it a few years now.

What is my best option for data this summer? Not massive use, just e-mail and browsing.

I'll be going sailing in the Ionian (around Preveza, Lefkas etc) for 3 lots of 2 weeks.

Is there something I can add to the Cosmote SIM I already have? Or should I look to get a new PAYG sim just for data?

I don't need a 3G dongle - it's built into my lappie.

Thanks for any pointers.

DaveRo 20-05-2010 05:54

Have you taken a look at Evan's recent summary - a couple of pages back on this thread?

There is a link to my blog on using Cosmote My View’n'Web, but I don't claim that it's the best option for you - it's complex to set up and limited in use - but it's almost certainly the cheapest.

I have used both Cosmote and Wind when sailing and Cosmote has better coverage in thinly-populated places. I don't know how Vodafone compares.

DaveRo 12-06-2010 15:26

Cosmote have replaced the My View’n'Web monthly pass with 'Internet on the phone 60'

I was subscribed to My View’n'Web and I got an SMS telling that I was being given a free montth of Internet on the phone 60 which included 120Mb. I took a look at the WAP site and it looks as if it costs €3/month and that you subscribe to it in a similar way to My View’n'Web. But I won't be back in Greece until next year so I won't be using it immediately.

Over the past 10 weeks sailing I've mainly been using Wind but there have been a few places where Wind was not available, and a couple of isolated anchorages where Cosmote was the only mobile phone signal available.

One disadvantage of My View’n'Web was that it was web only - no POP email. I suspect that the same will apply to this new service.

DaveRo 13-06-2010 20:59

Here are some details of Cosmote 'Internet on the phone 60' - in Greek:
http://www.e-cosmote.gr/cosmote/port...tocontract.xml
Google translation:
Google Translate

So it's 60Mb for 3€ - the 120Mb is a startup offer.

And it's unconnected with My View - you can subscribe by SMS.

AndreA 21-06-2010 17:30

just a question: can I still use a Wind GR simcard for tethering by iPhone?

DaveRo 25-06-2010 07:40

WInd have changed their website. Here are links to the ADSM pages In English (translation seems to be faulty) and in Greek.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreA (Post 32972)
just a question: can I still use a Wind GR simcard for tethering by iPhone?

Sorry AndreA - I don't have an iPhone. If somebody will give me one I'll be happy to test it ;-)

Dave

ofono 25-06-2010 17:44

Thanks to all for this thread especially Evans summary (post #76).

I just purchased a Q card to use with my iPhone and just got the data working.

The tricky part was the apn: I tried the apns listed in this forum and was unable to vet anything to work until I called Q customer service at 1222 (press 9 for English)

I was instructed to set the apn to: myq

(no username or password) and this finally got things going. So far I'm only getting edge but not surprising as I'm on a small beach on Kefalonia.

Hope this helps someone.

killbill831 29-06-2010 21:07

The 15 of july going in Greece for 15days in Calcidica - probably in Sithonia can someone tell me how is the sutuation there with prepaid and also which is the best internet mobile operator?
Also I have found this on the big ebay:
Περιγραφή

VODAFONE BROADBAND ON DEMAND CARD.

If you come to Greece With your laptop this Summer, this is the perfect card for You

The packet include

a) A SIM Internet card for Internet access with your USB stick ,

b) and a scratch card for 11 days FREE internet

You just put the scratch code in following page

https://services.vodafone.gr/service...uest_locale=en and you have 11 days Internet limited to 10GB

If you need more days you can buy according following rules

Session time
Fair usage data allowance Cost
2 hours +12 minutes 500 ΜΒ 3.50 €
8 hours +48 minutes 1 GB 7 €
26 hours+24 minutes 1 GB 10 €
52 hours +48 minutes 2 GB 14 €
11 days
10 GB
19 €

Note :

The New session time is an +10 % offer Valid from June 5/2010 Until September 30/2010 according following announcement ( only in Greek )

http://www.vodafone.gr/portal/resour...a/res17329.pdf

You can top up from a scratch card that you can find in all Vodafone shop or from a Credit card (not available yet) ,or by asking for airtime from a Vodafone prepaid or postpaid cellular number .

Very soon I will offer airtime in my auctions

You need a Unlocked USB modem

If you need a connection manager you can download from folowing Vodafone Greece link Vodafone.gr - Vodafone Mobile Connect: all devices

Settings

APN web.session

username

password

username and password don't needed let it empty.

Happy Surfing and Perfect vacations In Greece to all of you

If you don't have a modem look to my other Auctions

Thank you

Evan 12-07-2010 14:16

Another update of my older post about the currently available prepaid data plans and offers in Greece. The situation (and the pricing) is largely improved in all three major mobile operators since my last post.

COSMOTE

NEW! 1. Data plan "Internet On The Phone 60", Internet (no proxy), 3€/month, 60MB volume included, 0.0010€/ΚΒ afterwards.

Detailed information (in Greek) here: COSMOTE: /??? '????/WHATSUP/????????????? WHAT'S UP

Activation and Settings:
  1. Buy and register a Cosmote prepaid card (Cosmokarta or What's Up) from any Cosmote, OTE or Germanos store.
  2. To activate the "Internet On The Phone 60", send an SMS with the number 60 to 1333. Soon after you will receive with SMS the settings for Wap & Internet. Use the Internet settings on your mobile, not the Wap ones.
  3. If you don't receive the settings automatically or you want to enter the connection settings on your mobile manually, just use the APN: internet (everything else leave it blank).
  4. To check the remaining data volume, send INFO to 1313.
  5. To check the remaining credit, send YP to 1314.

Notes:
  • After subscribing to the plan, you get 40MB free, valid for the first 15 days.
  • Between 10/6 and 31/8/2010, you get double the volume (i.e., 120MB), every time you purchase a new packet.
  • The packet is deactivated automatically 30 days after its activation.
  • You can purchase as many packets as you like even before the end of the 30 days. Each time you purchase a new packet, the remaining data volume is added to your new volume (i.e. 60MB or 120MB until 31/8/2010) and the validity of the packet is extended for 30 more days.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATED! 2. Data plan "Internet On The Phone 60", WAP (with proxy), 3€/month, 60MB volume included, 0.0123€/ΚΒ afterwards.

This is the updated packet of the old Cosmote "MyView'n'Web" and it is exactly the same like the above packet (1), with the difference that it uses WAP instead of the internet APN to connect. The other big difference over the packet (1) is that it charges 12.6€/MB when the included volume is over (the packet (1) charges almost 12 times less, i.e., 1.03€/MB).

It is NOT recommended in any way over the plan (1), except if you have a special reason to connect through a WAP server instead of an internet server. In that case, just save the WAP settings that you will receive with an SMS when you activate the packet, or use manually the following settings:

APN: wap
username and password: blank
Proxy: 10.10.10.10, port: 8080

Evan 12-07-2010 14:29

I need to break the overview into multiple posts, since the forum software doesn't allow post with above a certain number of characters.

VODAFONE

UPDATED! 1. Data plan "Surf & Email 60", Internet (no proxy), 3€/month, 60MB volume included, 0.0009€/ΚΒ afterwards.

Detailed information (in English) here: Vodafone.gr - Pricing & Bundles

Notes:
  • After subscribing to the plan, you get the first month for free.
  • Until 31/8, you get double the volume, i.e., 120MB.
  • The subscription is renewed automatically every 30 days.
  • The data packet can only be purchased once every month.
  • For manually entering the internet settings use APN: webkarta.vodafone.gr, usermane: user and password: pass.
  • You can also use WAP instead of internet settings, APN: wapkarta.vodafone.gr, usermane: user, password: pass and proxy: 213.249.19.49, port: 5080.
  • Again (like Cosmote), the WAP server is not recommended, except if you really have to use it. Unlike Cosmote, the pricing between the two APNs is the same, however when you use WAP with proxy, you won't be able to access many services like e-mail etc.
  • The Vodafone data plan, offers the same bundled volume and price like the similar plan of Cosmote. However the plan of Cosmote is more flexible, since (a) it is not renewed automatically and (b) you can purchase as many 60/120MB additional packets as you like.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATED! 2. Data Plan "Vodafone on Demand", Internet (no proxy), 19€/10-days, 10GB volume included

Detailed info (in English) here: Vodafone.gr - Vodafone Mobile Broadband on Demand

Notes:
  • The Starter Pack costs 49€ with an USB Modem or 19€ without a modem. Both starter packs offer free access to the Internet for 10 days and 10GB. You can also buy sessions for 2, 8, 24 and 48 hours but the 10-day session is by far the cheapest.
  • With every new connection (i.e. purchasing a prepaid card and activating the data plan) you get 10 days for free.
  • Until 30/09/10 you get 10% extra time on every new activation of the plans, i.e., instead of 10 you get 11 days.
  • If want to enter the connection settings on your mobile/modem manually, just use the APN: web.session (everything else leave it blank).

Evan 12-07-2010 14:39

WIND

UPDATED! 1. Data Plan "Wind Plus Internet", Internet (no proxy), 4.12€/month, 40MB volume included, 0.5€/MΒ afterwards.

Info (only in Greek) here: Wind - ?????????????

Activation and Settings:
  1. Buy and register a Wind prepaid card ("New Wind Prepaid" or "Wind Free2Go") from any Wind store.
  2. To activate the "Wind Plus Internet", send an SMS with the text PLUS to 19349.
  3. To configure the internet settings manually, use the APN: gint.b-online.gr (leave blank everything else)
  4. To check the remaining data volume, send CHECK to 19349.
  5. To check the remaining credit, send a blank SMS to 1269.

Notes:
  • The plan is renewed automatically every month.
  • To deactivate the plan, send the word "STOP" to 19349.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATED! 2. Data Plan "Wind Plus WAP", WAP (with proxy), 4.12€/month, 40MB volume included, 0.0123€/ΚΒ afterwards.

Notes: This is exactly the same plan like the above, but is not recommended over the previous one, because it uses the WAP APN instead of the Internet APN. That means that you cannot use services like e-mail etc. and also that after exceeding the 40MB of the included volume, you will be charged 12.6 €/MΒ instead of 0.5€/MΒ of the previous plan.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEW! 3. Data plan "WIND Mobile Broadband with card", Internet (no proxy), 9.90€/30-days, 1GB volume included, 0.02€/MΒ afterwards.

Detailed information (in English) here: Wind - Mobile Broadband without contract

Notes:
  • To activate the packet, send an SMS with the text 1GB to 19595.
  • To check the remaining volume, send yp to 19595.
  • To check the remaining credit, send a blank SMS to 1269.
  • The settings for the mobile/modem are: APN: gint.b-online.gr (leave blank everything else).
  • According to their English page, if you consume the 1GB of the included volume, you can activate the packet again even before the 30 days are over. However, the same is not written on their Greek page, which makes me think that it's a lost-in-translation case, i.e., you have to wait 30 days before you activate again a new packet.

UPDATED! 4. Data Plan "WIND Mobile Broadband Non-Stop 7", Internet (no proxy), 14€/7-days, 12GB volume included, 0.02€/MΒ afterwards

Detailed information (in English) here: Wind - Mobile Broadband without contract

Notes:
  • To activate the packet, send an SMS with the text NS7 to 19595.
  • To check the remaining volume, send yp to 19595.
  • To check the remaining credit, send a blank SMS to 1269.
  • The settings for the mobile/modem are: APN: gint.b-online.gr (leave blank everything else).
  • According to their English page, if you consume the 12GB of the included volume, you can activate the packet again even before the 7 days are over. However, the same is not written on their Greek page, which makes me think that again it's a lost-in-translation case, i.e., you have to wait 7 days before you activate again a new packet.
  • There is another plan called "WIND Mobile Broadband Non-Stop 2" that offers 3GB for 2 days and costs 7€, i.e., much more expensive than the Non-Stop 7.
  • The two plans called NS2 (for 2 days) and NS7 (for 7 days) they actually give you almost 3 and 8 days respectively. For example, if you activate the NS2 on Monday morning, it expires at 12 midnight of Wednesday.
  • Currently, there is an offer Starter Pack which includes 7 days of free unlimited internet and USB Modem for 34.90€.

=================================================

Q-mobile

1. Data plan "1500", Internet (no proxy), 1€/month, 100MB volume included, 1€/MB afterwards

Info (only in Greek) here: 1500 ??? 1500

Notes:
  • Q-mobile is now merged with Wind, so you can purchase and register a prepaid Q-card in any Wind store
  • To activate the data plan send "1500" to 12200.
  • To check the remaining volume send "υπ1500" to 12200 (not sure if "yp1500" works as well) or call 12200.
  • The data packet can be activated up to 4 times each month, giving you 400MB in total for 4€.
  • The settings for the mobile/modem are: APN: myq (leave blank everything else).

AndyF 18-07-2010 22:54

I purchased a qcard sim at a wind store, but the lady there wasn't able to top up the balance since the sim wasn't alreadxy unlocked (she said the system was slow) and since I don't live near the wind store I purchased a 5€-code in a supermarket. But i don't undertsand the greek instructions. I called 1223, the number taht appears in the instructions, and tried to enter he code, but I think it didn't work since I can't activate the 1500-option and can't send any sms other than to Q numbers (haven't tried phoning though). Maybe someone here can give me some information on how to put money "on" the QCard with a predpaid code? That would be very much appreciated, thanks

Schlips1 19-07-2010 07:34

Hello!

To top up dial 1223 and then listen to the announcement (that tells you that you have to register your Sim-card) then type in the 16 digit code and end with the hash/pound (#) key.

The Q-card menue may be changed to english. But I do not remember, how....

AndyF 19-07-2010 19:06

Thank you.
Luckily, it worked just a few minutes after I posted the message yesterday. This time i tried pressing "1" before entering the code (didn't have to end it with #) and it worked. Apparently, there are different options availabe ánd you have to choose the first one. Anyway, it works fine now, tethering to my Archos 5 IT and to my netbook works fine as well.

Evan 27-07-2010 11:39

An update on the previous posts. Cosmote has just announced its first prepaid plans for data connection on computer. The plans are quite more expensive than the similar plans of Wind and Vodafone but I post them here in case there is only 3G coverage of Cosmote on the place you will visit.

COSMOTE Internet On The Go with Card

They offer 3 plans, each with 1GB included volume, that differ on the connection time only. The 1-day plan costs 5€, the 7-day plan 10€, and the 30-day plan 30€. After 31 August 2010, they will cost 10, 14 and 50€, respectively.

You can get the SIM pack for 20€ or the Full Pack with 50€ (which includes USB modem) from any Cosmote or Germanos shop, activate and register the SIM and connect immediately. In case you need the connection settings for your own USB modem, the APN is "internet" and leave everything else blank.

More info in Greek here (after the middle of the page):
http://www.cosmote.gr/cosmote/cosmot...rnet+On+The+Go

gondrake 28-07-2010 13:36

Evan, do you know if the USB modem included is operator locked?
Cheers,
Andrea.

Evan 29-07-2010 21:23

I'm not sure, since they all offer 2-3 different modems that change from time to time. I read that the ones of Vodafone and Wind are usually unlocked and they work as long as you use the "generic" software/drivers from the manufacturer of the modem.

schoen 11-08-2010 16:07

Hi,
Does somebody of you know if the Wind F2G offers from last year like F2G1/F2G2.... exits anymore. If they sill exits how can check what I have as an offer (I think I activated F2G2, but I'm not sure if I still make call with the sort of plan?)
Thanks in advance

goldeneyed 13-08-2010 16:32

Hi Evan,

Do you know if the WIND Mobile Broadband with card works for mobile phones like an iPhone or is it only just for an internet stick? The site says that in order to activate the SIM you should put it in a phone and make a chargeable call and then insert the SIM into the internet stick. If I were to put it in my iphone and change the APN wouldn't this work also? I'm interested in the 1GB for 30 Days but I think it says it ends on august 2010 is that right?

Evan 17-08-2010 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by schoen (Post 33623)
Hi,
Does somebody of you know if the Wind F2G offers from last year like F2G1/F2G2.... exits anymore. If they sill exits how can check what I have as an offer (I think I activated F2G2, but I'm not sure if I still make call with the sort of plan?)
Thanks in advance

The F2G1,2...8 are not commercially available anymore. However, all customers that have previously activated one of those plans, still have them (except if they've changed to the new plans).

To check which plan you have, call the balance information service (1269), press 2 for English, and after the information about your remaining credit and the expiration date of the SIM, they announce which one of the 8 F2G you were subscribed.

If you still have the F2G2, I suggest not to change it, because is by far the cheapest plan in Greek market' 0.1€/min, charge per second from the 1st second. They recently increased the price of the SMS from 4 to 11 cents, but only for the national texts. International SMS still costs 4 cents.

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldeneyed (Post 33656)
Hi Evan,

Do you know if the WIND Mobile Broadband with card works for mobile phones like an iPhone or is it only just for an internet stick? The site says that in order to activate the SIM you should put it in a phone and make a chargeable call and then insert the SIM into the internet stick. If I were to put it in my iphone and change the APN wouldn't this work also? I'm interested in the 1GB for 30 Days but I think it says it ends on august 2010 is that right?

I'm in Greece at the moment and use the same plan from my mobile. I don't have an iPhone but I read that it works without any issues (as long as it is unlocked of course). Just use the APN: gint.b-online.gr and leave everything else blank.

The 1GB for 30 days is 9.90€ until 31 August and after that 14.90€, I think. However, Wind tends to extend sometimes their offers.

goldeneyed 18-08-2010 05:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan (Post 33705)
The F2G1,2...8 are not commercially available anymore. However, all customers that have previously activated one of those plans, still have them (except if they've changed to the new plans).

To check which plan you have, call the balance information service (1269), press 2 for English, and after the information about your remaining credit and the expiration date of the SIM, they announce which one of the 8 F2G you were subscribed.

If you still have the F2G2, I suggest not to change it, because is by far the cheapest plan in Greek market' 0.1€/min, charge per second from the 1st second. They recently increased the price of the SMS from 4 to 11 cents, but only for the national texts. International SMS still costs 4 cents.

I'm in Greece at the moment and use the same plan from my mobile. I don't have an iPhone but I read that it works without any issues (as long as it is unlocked of course). Just use the APN: gint.b-online.gr and leave everything else blank.

The 1GB for 30 days is 9.90€ until 31 August and after that 14.90€, I think. However, Wind tends to extend sometimes their offers.

Thanks Evan! You always have all the answers lol. So just to clarify you're using it on a regular WInd F2GO prepaid account? Still at 14.90 for 30 days isn't bad compared to what people pay for postpaid in Canada. Did you get a chance to find out if you are indeed able to buy another package of 1GB for 30 days, in case your 1GB runs out early, just like the english version of wind's site says?

schoen 18-08-2010 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan (Post 33705)

Thanks
It's all correct. I called 1269 and I still have F2G2. It's the cheapest tarif plan in europe which I've ever seen.
Regards Schoen

Evan 18-08-2010 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldeneyed (Post 33708)
Thanks Evan! You always have all the answers lol. So just to clarify you're using it on a regular WInd F2GO prepaid account? Still at 14.90 for 30 days isn't bad compared to what people pay for postpaid in Canada. Did you get a chance to find out if you are indeed able to buy another package of 1GB for 30 days, in case your 1GB runs out early, just like the english version of wind's site says?

Yes, it's a normal prepaid Wind Free2Go card which I use it for voice and texts as well. To activate the data add-ons just follow the instructions on their web page.

I'm not sure if you can buy another package before the 30 days are over because I arrived in Greece 10 days ago and I still have many MBs left. But mainly because, I took advantage of their older offer (1.5GB/month absolutely free) on my second F2G SIM.

However, even if it's not possible to purchase another package within 30 days, the price after you consume the 1GB is quite reasonable, i.e., 0.02€/ΜΒ (or 20.5€/ΜΒ) considering that the "normal" package will cost 15€ after 31 August. Just keep in mind to activate the package again after 30 days, because after you will pay the much more expensive "usual" data prices and not the 0.02€/ΜΒ. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by schoen (Post 33713)
Thanks
It's all correct. I called 1269 and I still have F2G2. It's the cheapest tarif plan in europe which I've ever seen.
Regards Schoen

And if you add to their voice and SMS prices their previous offer of 1.5GB per month absolutely free without any prerequisite, I think it's the cheapest prepaid card not only in Europe but worldwide. :)

hiro 19-08-2010 15:18

After finishing up the 1gb with wind the tariff gets much more expensive. When it happened to me I payed about 15 Euro for 2mb and ten minutes of use. Definitely not 2 cents per mb.

On the other hand ordering the same package twice works.
I've now been in Katerini for one month. The reception of 3g is really bad mostly anywhere, but when you have a good antenna or a sweet spot you will have proper hsdpa and full internet access (I had about 170ms of latency and 1mbit up/down bandwidth).
I would have ordered it a third time if I hadn't used up all my money because of above's issue.

Evan 22-08-2010 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiro (Post 33717)
After finishing up the 1gb with wind the tariff gets much more expensive. When it happened to me I payed about 15 Euro for 2mb and ten minutes of use. Definitely not 2 cents per mb.

This is not what they state on the page of the plan. Instead they clearly write "In case of above bundle usage, the charge is €0,02 per ΜΒ" (and the bold are theirs not mine :))

You were charged their "normal" price, i.e., 6.7€/MB. You can just call the customer service (1260) and request to credit back the amount you lost due to incorrect charging. Most possibly, they will credit you back in 3-7 days, as Wind was (is) notorious for incorrect charges on their data plans.

gmmour 23-08-2010 15:30

Wind GR offers a new 1GB for 30 days prepaid broadband package on all wind prepaid SIMs.
You just text "1GB" without quotes to 19595 and get 1GB data for 30 days (overage 0,02 EUR / MB if you exceed the 1GB limit which is ridiculous but its prepaid so don't worry)!

Activation will cost you 15 EUR (offer 9,90 EUR for activations until 31 August 2010)! You should also count into that that to recharge greek prepaids you get 12% tax deducted so you actually need to top up 17,05 EUR to have sufficient balance for this package! Also greek prepaids have to be activated with an ID Card (for EU citizens) or passport (with valid visa for those who need one) in cellphone stores or at kiosks that have the "Activate your prepaid here" sticker, even though you can buy the (deactivated) SIM package anywhere in kiosks... Deactivated SIMs bought from kiosks won't work until activated at a store or approved kiosk (usually working hours)... Usually activation is available at kiosksk that are inside buildings, more like mini-markets, not at the omnipresent greek "periptera" on the sidewalks and squares. The news-stand on line 1 platform at Omonia station of the Metro is open until midnight or until line 1 closes (normally 2:30 on Fri&Sat) and is an easy spot for urgent prepaid activations until late! This platform is closed until late December 2010 though, together with a part of line 1 and probably the news-stand isn't working either...

Moreover, if you get your prepaid SIM at a WIND store (or Vf GR or Cosmote GR-Germanos store) they usually give them out for free (with 1 EUR free airitme every month for the first five months) provided that you activate the SIM on the spot with your ID or passport! At a store you can also topup any amount you like, so you can add exactly 18 EUR for the broadband package which is not possible with a scratch card... The Germanos/Cosmote store at the Athens Airport probably will charge you 5 EUR for a prepaid package that you will get for free in other downtown WIND/Vodafone/Cosmote-Germanos stores...

The APN for this offer is gint.b-online.gr

If you use the package 1GB bundled data before the 30 day deadline, you can buy and reactivate the package for another 30 days at any time.

I've used it on an unlocked iPhone and a Huawei E220 USB modem and it works just fine!

Link in english on the wind GR official website with full fine-print and instructions for activation, how to check your balance (text "yp" to 19595) and more: here shortened on bit.ly

(this hides the full url with all the greek letters encoded as % escape characters)
If the english page doesn't show up, just click the little Union Jack on the upper right corner and you'll get the same page in English!
Note that they haven't updated the SIM activation part in this website, so you do need to activate your prepaid SIM with an ID or passport before using it!

Important for Wind prepaids and greek prepaids in general! It is usual that you end up with a (sometimes considerable) negative balance on your account, especially with data usage where the charging system is not realtime! You can enjoy this loophole as long as it lasts provided that you exceed your bundle data limit and you have only a few cents of a balance left on your account, not zero just to keep it running until the system finds out about your data overage and gives you a negative balance and a blocked APN.
BUT! Don't top up with a negative balance or it will deduct it from your topup. Before topping up, call customer care and ask them to remove the negative balance. They will bring it back to 0 (zero) in a few days, no questions asked because greek law doesn't allow them to charge you beyond your prepaid balance even if their non-realtime system is glitchy! Then you can topup again without fear of getting less money for your topup.

PS: Sorry if I repeat anything that was reported before in this thread...