PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Traveling to 3 countries in Europe, which SIM is best? (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7996)

NorthernGal 09-07-2013 23:28

Traveling to 3 countries in Europe, which SIM is best?

Hello friends,

I am heading to Europe next week, travelling for 2 weeks, starting in France to Netherlands, Spain, then back to France.

My partner and I will be staying in each city for 3-4 days max, and we'd like to use our phones to keep in contact with each other in case we get lost (minimal minutes needed), and use data to look up maps and various websites. We would need to get micro SIMs for our phones.

In this case which company should I go with for the SIM? I've read about Orange, Simyo & Lebara, and it looks like the latter two operate in all 3 countries we're visiting, but I can't find anything that discusses any fees for data roaming. I see that Vodafone has a good deal as well, but since we won't be visiting UK or Italy, it would probably be difficult to get a SIM activated.

Thanks so much for your help!

:) NorthernGal

davidtheprof 10-07-2013 03:20

I'd suggest Piranha-Mobile for an international SIM with low rates in Europe (just reduced to 33c/MB for data), only pain is call back, but you do get a US and UK number.

Vodaphone UK has best roaming package in EU that I've seen for a national SIM, 25 MB for 2 pounds/$3 (maps will use quite a bit of data). Calling rates were reduced across EU July 1.

NorthernGal 10-07-2013 04:17

Thanks for your suggestions David,

Would I be able to pick up a Vodafone UK SIM when I get to France, or is there a way to get one before I leave the US?

Not a huge fan of the callback operators, sounds like Piranha is a lot like GoSIM.

rfranzq 10-07-2013 04:40

Piranha would be my suggestion also

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthernGal (Post 43320)
Not a huge fan of the callback operators, sounds like Piranha is a lot like GoSIM.

Piranha would be my suggestion also. But I would worry about getting it in time. I received mine in 8 days in early December [before Christmas, I'm in California].

What do you have against callback? Microsim is inside normal SIM.

tux 10-07-2013 08:57

I would rather opt for a Toggle Mobile sim... :)

davidtheprof 10-07-2013 12:06

you can usually get popular foreign sims on ebay, and then set them up online before you travel - but a week is cutting it fine - you might have to pick up something at your first stop. Roaming rates in Europe are not bad, even without special deals. You'll just have to deal with French

rfranzq 10-07-2013 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by tux (Post 43323)
I would rather opt for a Toggle Mobile sim... :)

Which is not readily available in the US.

andy 10-07-2013 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfranzq (Post 43326)
Which is not readily available in the US.

The website seems to show that it can be despatched to USA, or France or whichever is the first country of arrival on this trip