PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/index.php)
-   International GSM prepaid cards (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   2018 New Piranha Mobile Sim Card 2018 thread (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10654)

rfranzq 02-07-2018 00:49

2018 New Piranha Mobile Sim Card 2018 thread

Seems like a good time to start a new thread.
1 July 2018.
Anyone got the new SIM card yet?
Probably best to wait until you get one to respond.
A lot of no messages will be unsettling.

GadgetKen 04-07-2018 16:13

Nothing yet and think it may be weeks or months until we get new SIM cards.

Stu 07-07-2018 01:03

Definitely makes you think twice about Knowroaming!

bourbonkiller 16-07-2018 14:16

Today is the 16th of july. Any news on the replacement SIM that should have been sent out? I haven't got one!

Looks like piranha is gone...?

kctopitz 16-07-2018 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by bourbonkiller (Post 50298)
Today is the 16th of july. Any news on the replacement SIM that should have been sent out? I haven't got one!

Looks like piranha is gone...?

Either they're dead, or they're completely failing to keeping their customers informed as to what's going on at a crucial time.

Bossman 16-07-2018 19:40

Piranha is probably a small outfit with a handful of employees at the most. The lack of communication from them, while not overly surprising, just makes one think they are pretty much dead!

The Piranha representative reads this forum. And the lack of response, even in this forum, makes one suspicious.

svenn 19-07-2018 08:38

How Long does it take to send it to German

hawkdeira 20-07-2018 10:16

Piranha

According to their published accounts online in the UK they lost money in 2017 and 2016 . . . perhaps not a good business model. Still no new sim card arrived here.

GadgetKen 22-07-2018 08:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkdeira (Post 50305)
According to their published accounts online in the UK they lost money in 2017 and 2016 . . . perhaps not a good business model. Still no new sim card arrived here.

The Piranha website won't let potential new customers buy a sim card either...you just get a redirect to a page with no products.

I only give Piranha a slim chance of actually mailing out new sim cards to existing customers and resuming operations given the challenges of switching sim platforms and their financial issues.

Since the two Piranha sim cards in our family had little left on them, it's not much of a loss if they close up shop.

Have other options including just got a Mint Mobile sim card that works in the US on T-Mobile and can roam outside the US.

kctopitz 22-07-2018 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkdeira (Post 50305)

Do you have a source for this?

bourbonkiller 09-08-2018 14:46

My new Piranha-Simcard just arrived!

Went through the activation process and chose a US Number, because I do not need a new UK Jersey number and it might be cheaper to forward to US Numbers then to Jersey Numbers. No problem with assigning and activation, even with no balance on it. They say something about up to 48 hours until the old balanced get's transferred.

Got assigned a Los Angeles +1 213 XXXXXXX number. No signs or mentioning of incoming charges to the US Number, neither on the letter that came with the SIM, nor during activation process. Couldn't find a mentioning about incoming charges in their T&C's too, but only cross read it...

There is a new lifetime for the SIM, if you don't use it for 420 Days, account might get closed. This seems different to the old Piranha SIM.

bourbonkiller 09-08-2018 14:46

My new Piranha-Simcard just arrived!

Went through the activation process and chose a US Number, because I do not need a new UK Jersey number and it might be cheaper to forward to US Numbers then to Jersey Numbers. No problem with assigning and activation, even with no balance on it. They say something about up to 48 hours until the old balanced get's transferred.

Got assigned a Los Angeles +1 213 XXXXXXX number. No signs or mentioning of incoming charges to the US Number, neither on the letter that came with the SIM, nor during activation process. Couldn't find a mentioning about incoming charges in their T&C's too, but only cross read it...

There is a new lifetime for the SIM, if you don't use it for 420 Days, account might get closed. This seems different to the old Piranha SIM.

rfranzq 15-08-2018 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfranzq (Post 50277)
Seems like a good time to start a new thread.
1 July 2018.
Anyone got the new SIM card yet?
Probably best to wait until you get one to respond.
A lot of no messages will be unsettling.

Well, I requested a replacement SIM card Tuesday night.
Will report when I get it.

bourbonkiller 15-08-2018 17:29

The new Card seems to be quite tricky. Beside a "poor" coverage for me, as Austria and Liechtenstein do only cover the Mobilkom network with data but NO phone calls, the card is not behaving properly.

Put it into my old Blackberry Passport. With automatic network search it booked into T-Mobile AT, which is not even covered. Swisscom which is on their list, can not be selected manually. After several attempts I managed to register on Swiss sunrise network.

Calls to my Swiss mobile (Salt) go through, calling back to the assigned US number worked instantly and with great call quality. However, calling my private mobile on Mobilkom Austria network results in a recorded message (from A1) that the participant is not available - but the mobile sits next to me on the table with full coverage. A call from my wife's phone to Mobilkom makes it ring immediately. Seems a problem with interconnection. Last time I got that message was, when a friend ported his number to A1 and couldn't receive calls from abroad...

All other numbers I've tried to call work fine so far. Any indication on which network the Simcard is?

bourbonkiller 15-08-2018 19:22

update: Tried again with my iPhone SE, thought it might be a problem with the Blackberry. Unfortunately the outcome is the same. Can not log into Swisscom.

iPhone displays "Jersey Telecom" as provider. No roaming profiles like Koko Mobile use it...

davidtheprof 16-08-2018 23:20

I had about $40 between 2 sims, goodbye to that. They used to work well with VOIP, incoming and outgoing, same number as the SIM, was my favorite. I have not been able to replace that function. Only Skype really. Any other softphone recommendations?

kctopitz 17-08-2018 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidtheprof (Post 50359)
I had about $40 between 2 sims, goodbye to that. They used to work well with VOIP, incoming and outgoing, same number as the SIM, was my favorite. I have not been able to replace that function. Only Skype really. Any other softphone recommendations?

Google Voice for calls and SMS to the US/Canada. FreedomPop, which is essentially a data-only SIM with their VOIP app for calls/SMS, and allows you to call certain countries outside the US. No SMS to foreign countries though.

svenn 17-08-2018 07:23

Which roamingpartners are avalible in Germany?

GadgetKen 18-08-2018 05:22

Piranha website claims O2 and eplus in Germany at 12 cents a minute out and vodaphone at 30 cents a minute.
Got one of the new Sims to work in a ZTE lte flip phone for my father on AT&T in the US but had to set it to 3g to work.
Noticed new sim now listed for 90 cents a mb in Bermuda...pricey...and no voice or text. Last trip there I used Koko voice and Skyroam data.

Bossman 19-08-2018 13:07

Received the new SIM on Friday. Postmarked August 7. So this was sent before I put my second request in. Went ahead and activated it and chose a US number. Works on AT&T here. Tested incoming calls. Works fine, and there was no charge, as expected.

rfranzq 24-08-2018 04:11

OK. Got it today 8/23. Requested 8/15.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfranzq (Post 50355)
Well, I requested a replacement SIM card Tuesday night.
Will report when I get it.

OK. Got it today 8/23. Requested 8/15.

Will report later.
Thank you to everyone who has posted about activation and issues.

rfranzq 24-08-2018 06:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfranzq (Post 50366)
Will report later.

Quote:

Linking & Activating Your SIM Card
1.To register your SIM card you will need the ICCID and the PUK, found on the back of your SIM card.
2.Enter the information into the required form fields.
3.Select the Country for your SIM number and click LINK ACCOUNT.
4.Remember only one number per SIM allowed.
5.If successful you will receive an activation message on screen with your new number.
6.Next go to Your SIM Accounts and add air time credit to your SIM to finalize activation.
Choose a country for your phone number.

I was given a 213 area code----the area code I was born in.
Note sure if they chose it intentionally or what.

Took no more than two minutes.

rfranzq 24-08-2018 22:29

Since Piranha Mobile seems to still exist and mail out SIMs and restore balances.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetKen (Post 50306)
Since the two Piranha sim cards in our family had little left on them, it's not much of a loss if they close up shop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidtheprof (Post 50359)
I had about $40 between 2 sims, goodbye to that.

Since Piranha Mobile seems to still exist and mail out SIMs and restore balances, maybe you should try to get the new SIM cards?

rfranzq 24-08-2018 22:32

Does anyone know any short codes?

For, like, balance or voicemail or............

Bossman 26-08-2018 02:26

Not that I am aware of. Nothing on the website either. Does it even have voicemail? I chose US number. When called and the phone is off, it just gives a busy tone. Or if not picked up, it gives the system message that the wireless customer is not available.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfranzq (Post 50369)
For, like, balance or voicemail or............

rfranzq 27-08-2018 07:16

question

Does anyone know what the number which starts 440??? under the column
Oragin[sic] is?

bourbonkiller 27-08-2018 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfranzq (Post 50371)
Does anyone know what the number which starts 440??? under the column
Oragin[sic] is?

I saw that as well. Seems the UK prefix 44 is fixed, the rest behind 44 is my US Number. Thought that I might have a UK number as well, but if you look at it, it's your US number behind a 44 prefix...

davidtheprof 27-08-2018 21:08

My 2 new Piranha cards just arrived! I'm more or less given up on them. I registered them, but not showing as registered yet. looks like these can only take one number, unlike their earlier versions... Let's see if they have fixed the text issues, and restored the VOIP capability!

davidtheprof 27-08-2018 21:09

PS activated and balances showing, just 10 mins after registering, not the 48 hours it says in the letter...

rfranzq 27-08-2018 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidtheprof (Post 50374)
PS activated and balances showing, just 10 mins after registering, not the 48 hours it says in the letter...

I think that depends on whether they are there when you try.
So might be longer on weekends.

davidtheprof 27-08-2018 21:41

phone and text working, but no VOIP support...

davidtheprof 27-08-2018 22:09

testing a bit more - outgoing texts worked, but not incoming.
And the big problem - the UK numbers are for Jersey, the Channel islands. I checked costs for Brits to call, it's 55p/min on Vodaphone, 1 pound/min on EE! This makes these useless for when I'm in the UK, because the whole idea is for local friends and family to call me on their plans.

Bossman 28-08-2018 10:20

That's my main reason for choosing a US number, once I learnt they were Jersey numbers. Even at $0.50/month, it's still a better option for me than those Jersey numbers. They are very expensive to call from anywhere. A UK local sim will serve you best for UK.

PS. This is probably just to use up whatever credit I have left. As my use for these international sims has really diminished.

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidtheprof (Post 50377)
And the big problem - the UK numbers are for Jersey, the Channel islands. I checked costs for Brits to call, it's 55p/min on Vodaphone, 1 pound/min on EE! This makes these useless for when I'm in the UK, because the whole idea is for local friends and family to call me on their plans.

davidtheprof 28-08-2018 17:41

True, we can increasingly use Whatsapp when traveling. TMob US just pushed the cost per minute from 20 to 25c/min in and outbound, while Piranha is cheaper in most countries.

Bossman 08-11-2018 16:21

Usage experience

I just want to post a recent usage experience - I was in London for 1 day and in Lagos, Nigeria for 9 days. All through the trip, I had my AT&T sim forwarded to the US number associated with sim. Incoming calls received were clear. No issue hearing the other party and vice-versa. All in all, I probably received about 20 calls total. As expected, there was not a charge for any of the incoming calls (did NOT make any outgoing calls on it). Of course, I get charged the monthly $0.50 for the US number.

Please note - The sim has no voicemail associated with it. So, it just gives a busy tone, if the phone happens to be off. I did have a few people try to reach me during the rare occasions that I had my phone off. Phone was on for the most part 24/7. Caller ID was also passed for every single call I received. I was using a Xiaomi Mi mix 2 phone. With Piranha in sim 2, and My Nigeria sim in sim 1. Bottom line - my experience with the sim was positive.

ghostrider 10-11-2018 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bossman (Post 51283)
I just want to post a recent usage experience - I was in London for 1 day and in Lagos, Nigeria for 9 days. All through the trip, I had my AT&T sim forwarded to the US number associated with sim. Incoming calls received were clear. No issue hearing the other party and vice-versa. All in all, I probably received about 20 calls total. As expected, there was not a charge for any of the incoming calls (did NOT make any outgoing calls on it). Of course, I get charged the monthly $0.50 for the US number.

Please note - The sim has no voicemail associated with it. So, it just gives a busy tone, if the phone happens to be off. I did have a few people try to reach me during the rare occasions that I had my phone off. Phone was on for the most part 24/7. Caller ID was also passed for every single call I received. I was using a Xiaomi Mi mix 2 phone. With Piranha in sim 2, and My Nigeria sim in sim 1. Bottom line - my experience with the sim was positive.

That's strange. In fact I had to abandon Piranha because it stopped working properly in my dual sim phone.

leon_zawodowiec 14-11-2018 09:18

Hello!
Actually I'm abroad and using a SIM card with Internet from SimGlob - Poland. I totally recommend it, cause i have never had a problem with connection. I'm a trucker so i need an internet access, so i'm really glad about that card is exist :D
checik it out https://en.simglob.com/

Bossman 12-09-2019 16:27

Anyone else in the USA using a US piranha number have any issues. I can't receive incoming calls on the number. Roaming on AT&T. Outgoing work fine. I have opened a ticket with them.

Took the sim out to test it, in preparation for an upcoming trip.

GadgetKen 21-09-2019 15:13

My outgoing is working after they fixed it but my incoming does not work. Tried on a calling card from a landline and get ringing tone and then "please wait for the next representative." No ringing on mobile phone. Not a big deal for me since I use that line primarily for outgoing. But between Koko and Piranha problems I think it shows JT based roaming chips have issues.

Bossman 21-09-2019 19:30

It's the reverse for me. Incoming is working, however outgoing drops instantly. I only use it for incoming anyway. I will just live with it the way it is. With whatsapp and the other VOIP options, it's just a matter of time before these global sims pack it up. Their relevance has really diminished.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetKen (Post 61863)
My outgoing is working after they fixed it but my incoming does not work. Tried on a calling card from a landline and get ringing tone and then "please wait for the next representative." No ringing on mobile phone. Not a big deal for me since I use that line primarily for outgoing. But between Koko and Piranha problems I think it shows JT based roaming chips have issues.