PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/index.php)
-   Austria & Switzerland (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Buying a Swiss prepaid SIM at Zurich Airport? (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6364)

Sabaton 15-11-2010 02:07

Buying a Swiss prepaid SIM at Zurich Airport?

Hello guys,

I'll be spending some hours at Kloten Airport next wednesday, waiting for my connecting flight to Johannesburg. I was wondering if there's a possibility to buy a swiss prepaid card in the passenger area of this airport since I want to improve my collection of foreign prepaid cards :D I've seen that Sunrise and Swisscom outlets are located in the public area, which I won't enter though. I've also noticed that in the passenger area there is a K-Kiosk, don't know if they sell cards. Is some ID-proof required in order to activate a swiss card?

Thanks/Grazie :cool:

inquisitor 15-11-2010 06:06

Except for the shops of Swisscom, Sunrise and Orange in the public area ("Airport Shopping Plaza") there's no place to buy SIM cards at Kloten airport. But distances are not too far - I think 20-30 minutes should be enough to get a SIM card and pass security check again.
When buying a SIM card in Switzerland you are required to show your ID for registration, however you don't need to be a Swiss resident.
If you want to get online in Switzerland I would recommend a Swisscom SIM with the "Natel Easy Be Free" prepaid plan, which gives you unlimited internet access for CHF 5 per day (for details check Switzerland - Swisscom - Prepaid Wireless Internet Access), which is significantly cheaper and more secure than the unencrypted WiFi network at the airport.

90180360 06-12-2010 10:09

You can now buy SIM cards at the k kiosks.

ok.- Mobile | Smart und günstig ist voll ok.

There should be quite a few of them at the Airport.

Internet is 2.- / day.

Schlips1 06-12-2010 22:12

Ok mobile is on the Orange network. So, you have to recharge the Sim once a year (and sometimes the system looses your number despite that) ....

kuba.g 31-12-2010 20:39

Bought OK Mobile at a k kiosk, worked like a dream! :)

Thanks for the tip 90180360.

kimdo 11-07-2012 01:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by inquisitor (Post 34652)
Except for the shops of Swisscom, Sunrise and Orange in the public area ("Airport Shopping Plaza") there's no place to buy SIM cards at Kloten airport. But distances are not too far - I think 20-30 minutes should be enough to get a SIM card and pass security check again.
When buying a SIM card in Switzerland you are required to show your ID for registration, however you don't need to be a Swiss resident.
If you want to get online in Switzerland I would recommend a Swisscom SIM with the "Natel Easy Be Free" prepaid plan, which gives you unlimited internet access for CHF 5 per day (for details check Switzerland - Swisscom - Prepaid Wireless Internet Access), which is significantly cheaper and more secure than the unencrypted WiFi network at the airport.

Hi inquisitor,
May I know that the APN for Swisscom prepaid sim card? And, this sim card can be used in Huawei mifi? Besides, Swisscom just provide day plan only? No weekly plan? Will the Swisscom staff helping for the SIM card activation? Thanks a lot.
Kimdo

inquisitor 11-07-2012 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimdo (Post 40019)
May I know that the APN for Swisscom prepaid sim card?

Yes: Let me google that for you

Quote:

And, this sim card can be used in Huawei mifi?
You can use every GSM/UMTS SIM card in your Mifi. No need to ask this again and again for each country and network.

Quote:

Besides, Swisscom just provide day plan only? No weekly plan?
I'm only aware of two monthly plans including 300MB for CHF19,- and 2000MB for CHF39,-, which however can only be ordered from an iPad: Internet iPad - Tarife iPad - iPad 2 - Swisscom - NATEL® data start - NATEL® data easy flex

Quote:

Will the Swisscom staff helping for the SIM card activation?
They will sell it activated and remember to bring your identity card as the SIM card will need to be registered upon purchase.

kimdo 12-07-2012 01:48

Thanks again.

For about 12 days travelling in Switzerland, the "Natel Easy Be Free" prepaid plan and 2 GB iPad monthly plan, which one more suitable for me? Do you think unlimited daily plan is better?

wco81 07-11-2012 17:08

Planning a trip to Switzerland. Would fly into ZRH and then board a 3-hour train ride for Wengen.

Is the Swisscom shop near the train station? Or the OK vending machine?

Even though Swisscom costs more, I would imagine you're likely to have better coverage in the mountains, like most of the Bernese Oberland?

Is the activation instant? Can I use it immediately for data?

This page indicates it's 4 CHF per day for data?

Mobile phone tariffs ? Mobile phone flat-rate tariffs ? NATEL® Easy BeFree ? Swisscom ? Mobile phone flat ? Surf flat-rate mobile phone ? Flat-rate mobile ? Daily flat rate - Residential Customers - Swisscom

If I only use data on a given day, I'd only be charged the 4 CHF, not the rates for the calls or texts?

inquisitor 07-11-2012 22:22

Swisscom, sunrise and Orange all have shops at the airport which are opened daily from 8am to 9pm:
http://www.zurich-airport.com/deskto...id-816/csec-1/

Also there are a KKiosks which sell OK mobile SIM cards that offer some interesting data options.

Except for Orange you will also find all these shops in the underground mall "RailCity" beneath Zürich main station: SBB: ShopVille-RailCity Zürich: Shops.

With a swisscom "Natel Easy BeFree" SIM card you can immediately start using data at CHF 4.00/day (you won't be chared the call or text rate unless you place an outgoing phone call or send a text). For other SIM cards it will take a couple of minutes before your ordered data option has been activated (wait for a confirmation by text).